Thread: Neopixel Skinny Strips...

Default Neopixel Skinny Strips...

A few people have recommended I go with Neopixel skinny strips for my neopixel build.

In your opinions, do I need to use 2 or 3 strips? (some people are adamant 2 is enough, other swear to me I need 3)
    If 3, how do you arrange them. 2 strips is obvious, back to back. But with 3 skinny strips I'm pictures a triangle profile with nothing in the middle..that can't be right?
    Last edited by deviltronix; 04-05-2018 at 08:18 PM.

2 strips.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

2 strips, and I for one don't believe in the necessity or expense of skinny strips. The 3535 LEDs have more spacing than 5050s and I've never had an issue diffusing the normal strips in the 2 years I've been making pixel blades: just add gift wrap.

3 strips just moves your problems closer to the surface and adds further to the complications of a power hungry pixel blade. For that trouble you also go from needing 8-12 amps to 12-18 amps (typically, depending on color mix and length), you'll need beefier wiring and a connector rated for that current.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    2 strips, and I for one don't believe in the necessity or expense of skinny strips. The 3535 LEDs have more spacing than 5050s and I've never had an issue diffusing the normal strips in the 2 years I've been making pixel blades: just add gift wrap.

3 strips just moves your problems closer to the surface and adds further to the complications of a power hungry pixel blade. For that trouble you also go from needing 8-12 amps to 12-18 amps (typically, depending on color mix and length), you'll need beefier wiring and a connector rated for that current.
    Thank you for the advice...2 strips it is. If using a clear blade should it be sanded?

Are people using a capacitor on the power lines in addition the the resistor? (I plan on using solo's hold neopixel battery)

I was also wondering...If I place the resistor in the blade I wouldn't be able to use that blade on other builds that may include additional Neopixel for crystal chamber?
    Last edited by deviltronix; 04-06-2018 at 12:25 PM.

If you want to use the blade in multiple sabers, keep your resistors in your hilts, this way you can light up a crystal chamber. I don't use capacitors. Capacitors are mainly needed for string blades, neopixels don't seem to have the flash problem like the string blades do on boot. I have not used capacitors.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."