Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 more sound sabers for Kiwanis

Default 2 more sound sabers for Kiwanis

These are the last two sound sabers for our Kiwanis fundraiser this month. This is my first time using the TCSS sleeve material. It is thin walled and a challenge to machine. Clamping too tight in the vise distorts it and a large cutter chatters enough to move it in the vise. The trick is to pre-drill and use a small diameter milling bit, also take small amounts at a time. The front and rear curved areas were accomplished on the band saw and belt sander, using the top radius of the belt to get the curve section. It was a fun challenge.
    Blue 1.jpgBlue 2.jpgblue 5.jpgshrouded 1.jpgshrouded 3.jpgshrouded 2.jpg

Here are all three together, still need to make the stunt saber...3 sabers.jpg

Oh, I like a shiny saber and these look awesome. First one (blue) is my fav.

Great work again, that first one is my favorite too.

Nice. I like all the designs but yeah, the blue blade hilt design is also my favorite out of the 3 :P I need to do me a build at some point again. I'm mostly into stunt sabers though
    Light or dark. the path doesn't matter. What matters is how you act once you have chosen a path

DV6 Saber Hilt

ZrenTobas87- Don't be intimidated by sound. MadCow (Rob Petkau) has done some great vids on building a sound chassis. TCSS sells a pre-wired NB-V4 that is basically plug and play. Look at their (modular wiring system) and you will find pre-wired charge port, switch, NV-V4 etc. It does add a few $$ but makes it really easy to do. When it comes to wiring the Tri-Cree LED..... I purchase the pre-wired JST that has the same color that hooks into the pre-wired NB-V4 board. Don't forget to wire up your resistors going to your leds. The only downside to this method is you need some space in the hilt to fit all the connectors. The upside is it is fast and if something needs fixing it is easy to unplug. IMHO......

Quote Originally Posted by k6gad View Post

Looks great! I like the knurled detail.

Quote Originally Posted by k6gad View Post
    These are the last two sound sabers for our Kiwanis fundraiser this month. This is my first time using the TCSS sleeve material. It is thin walled and a challenge to machine. Clamping too tight in the vise distorts it and a large cutter chatters enough to move it in the vise. The trick is to pre-drill and use a small diameter milling bit, also take small amounts at a time. The front and rear curved areas were accomplished on the band saw and belt sander, using the top radius of the belt to get the curve section. It was a fun challenge.
    Blue 1.jpgBlue 2.jpgblue 5.jpgshrouded 1.jpgshrouded 3.jpgshrouded 2.jpg
    Really love the last one you posted in this thread.

I have a thing for strait/nonexistent emitters.

Question: What is this about TCSS sleeve material? I've never seen that in the shop, and just looked again.

Where did you find it?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WhillB View Post
    Really love the last one you posted in this thread.
    Question: What is this about TCSS sleeve material? I've never seen that in the shop, and just looked again.

Where did you find it?

Thanks.
    The Sleeve Material is a Aluminum tube that fits outside the MHSv1 "standard" parts.
    It is just a tube until you cut it to your own design.

It is located in the store under "Modular Hilt System V1" and under "Adapters / Misc" listed as "MHS Sleeve material - 18"
    Link -> HERE