Thread: Resistor Opinion...

Default Resistor Opinion...

I have a Blue Accent LED that requires 15 Ohm Resistor...
    I can be lazy and use 22 Ohm Resistor or I can Create a 15 Ohm Resistor by using (3) 10 Ohm resistors (2 in Parallel & then 1 in Series, 5+10)

What do you recommend? Will 22 Ohm kill the brightness? Is it worth creating the 15?

Appreciate your feedback!

run what you brung. Test the 22 ohm on the LED. Once it hits its ignition point and if it runs and you're underdriving it, you're golden. I under-drive a lot of accent LED's. Not disappointed with brightness. 15 ohm gets you to its fv. 22 ohm won't be that much of a difference, I'm guessing you'll have negligible brightness difference. I use 18 and 20 ohm resistors all the time on blues and greens. Of course you can divide your resistors as stated too if you want to learn how to do all that too. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Test the LED on the 22 ohm and see if you like it, then test it on your divided resistors, or test 2 side by side. 5mm LEDs are cheap, I buy them in bulk.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

This is very good advice!!! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    run what you brung. Test the 22 ohm on the LED. Once it hits its ignition point and if it runs and you're underdriving it, you're golden. I under-drive a lot of accent LED's. Not disappointed with brightness. 15 ohm gets you to its fv. 22 ohm won't be that much of a difference, I'm guessing you'll have negligible brightness difference. I use 18 and 20 ohm resistors all the time on blues and greens. Of course you can divide your resistors as stated too if you want to learn how to do all that too. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Test the LED on the 22 ohm and see if you like it, then test it on your divided resistors, or test 2 side by side. 5mm LEDs are cheap, I buy them in bulk.

Tom