Thread: Converting MR .45 scale lightsabers

Default Converting MR .45 scale lightsabers

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or information about converting the Master Replicas .45 scale lightsabers for light. (I assume there aren't any sound boards that can fit in them.)

Specifically I am interested in installing a 5mW, 3-5v laser (like this one) into a Luke ANH Graflex to turn it into a laser pointer. It seems like there should be just about enough space in the hilt for the laser module and a AAA battery with a small gap for switch/wires but I'm not even sure how to go about disassembling it without damaging it.

The only guides I've been able to find online are for completely stripping them out, including the emitter ring, glass eye, and red button, to turn them into vape pens, and I was hoping to keep it a little more intact and screen accurate, ideally with battery access through the pommel.

Not knowing the internal dimensions, i cant comment on the sound card, but finding a decent enough speaker would be my worry lol. It looks like you might fit an 18500 and an LED in there, not sure about a switch though.

Yeah I really doubt there's hardware available, or space inside for sound, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone had managed it before.
    As for the ID, I'm not sure if there's other stuff inside that would get in the way, but at the emitter end the ID is a hair over 15mm, and from the pommel to the bottom edge of the emitter curve it's 104mm long, meaning there would be about a 20mm gap between a AAA and the laser module. There are also even smaller laser modules available, but I was hoping to use one with a line or cross pattern since those really drive my cats nuts!

For the switch I was hoping to attach it to the clamp card, but the gap between the ends of the clamp is tiny, and there appears to be a bit of plastic in there holding them apart. But I'm thinking it might be enough space for a momentary switch post, or maybe even a latching switch if I grind out a space for it.
    Last edited by harmless_toast; 03-29-2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Well no one had any ideas so I just started trying to randomly pry bits off!

It went a lot better than I expected. Taking some pliers to it I found that the red button and clamp arm do in fact unscrew, revealing more screws, and it was all downhill from there.

The only part I couldn't find a way to detach is the pommel, so I'm thinking I may have to go with a rechargeable, protected 10440 battery (which fits quite nicely in the rubber posts that stick through to hold the grips on), and drill a hole in the pommel for a recharge port.

Then I just have to figure out where to mount a switch. I'd still like to hide it under the clamp card if possible, but I may have to just drill a hole through the clamp (there are already some extra holes in the hilt under the clamp) to stick it through.

If people are interested I'll try to take some more pictures this week and write up exactly how the disassembly works, but I have to wait for some cheap parts from china to arrive before I can start the build.