Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salvaged Junksaber - first saber build

Thats awesome. I need to build a junkyard saber, I like hammering stuff on the anvil.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by SFXER001 View Post
    Thanks, Tom! Just some standard brass tubing for spacers. Typical size as sold in the Store, but I found them locally at A hardware store with a K and S metals display stand. Picked up several sizes of tubing to add details, spacers and greeblies. I have a few greebs to add to make mine look unique.

What do you folks use as a degreaser? Everything is covered in cutting fluid. I’ve been told by the local old hardware store guys that Simple Green works best.
    Windex lol.

It’s kinda cool! I have a few shelving brackets that I’ve hammered into a curved shape to use as bezels and sleeves around the MHS body. Need to drill a hole through them for the 12mm switch.

Update: Did a lot of work recently on my crystal chamber. I ended up re-doing all of my machine bushings (washers) from scratch since they were not fitting right. They weren't lining up right because I initially drill pressed them as a stack of washers to save time and hopefully make them uniform, but a slight misalignment made assembly a headache.

I thought that I had come up with a better drilling method for my second attempt and I drilled each one individually. Lastly, I stacked them for a final drilling on the press to clean off any slight misalignments. This achieved a much better result and I think it's finally coming together. A Drill press helped a lot, but the hand drill still came in handy for cleaning up some of the alignments. I have a lot more greeblies to put in and I need to cut the machine bushings into a C-shape. Total length is about 1 and 15/16ths inches from the outside face of each chassis disc. Just under 2 inches.

I have not yet cut the brass spacers to cover up the 4-40 threaded rod, so that's missing at the moment. Those spacers will properly stagger the washers apart from each other once I measure everything out with calipers. I have nylon spacers that I can use to test fit the dimensions, then I can cut the brass tube once I am satisfied. I also need to clean up the pieces and do a little weathering. There's a lot of tool marks and gouges, which I'm okay with since I'm going for a junky look.

There are four brass 1/8 conduit tubes for wires, and possibly a 5th greeblie that can serve as another extra passage. I am overkill on the conduits; plenty of room for all my 28 gauge PTFE wires that will pass through hidden within the chamber space. Anyways, here's a few pictures:

CC1x.jpgCC2.jpgCC5.jpgCC4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SFXER001; 04-05-2018 at 09:04 PM.

maybe try to do some brass washer fins for some contrast. You could also replace some of that conduit with the DarthChasm conduit to look more unique. I think its looking good so far. Getting those spacers even is tough, little bitty things.

TOm

Couldn’t find brass machine bushings (the washers) locally. The ones I did find are the perfect dimension and have a 1.24 OD, so they fit right inside MHS. They can be found at Lowes, but not in brass.

Crystal chamber is looking pretty sweet...I've yet to attempt one, Bravo!

Some more updates. Based on Tom's suggestion, I tried to incorporate DC's conduit technique into the chamber but use it in a different way as a greeblie, rather than a passageway to hide wires. I will probably change the color of the wire and improve the quality of the wrap, as well as add a second piece; this was just a proof of concept test.

CC6.jpgCC7.jpgCC8.jpgCC9.jpg

Feedback is more than welcome. Am I over-crowding the chamber with greeblies and ideas?
    Last edited by SFXER001; 04-10-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SFXER001 View Post
    Am I over-crowding the chamber with greeblies and ideas?
    No. There's room for a little more.

So long as you can still see the crystal, there is no such thing as "too many greeblies" in the chamber! Looks great.

Tom