Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First saber completed

Default First saber completed

Minus the pommel that I forgot to order ��

I am proud of this I need to put some thin foam in the middle which is where I stored the battery so it doesn’t wobble and make noise but outside of that it was very fun to build!!

For a first build I did a buckpuck with a rebel star led. It is a momentary switch so I did the momentary to latching converter just because I like momentary better. Now I need a pommel and blade and I’ll be good to go!!

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347 (1).jpg
    Last edited by BrutalMaz; 03-25-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Congrats!

If you are using a rechargeable battery pack from the store (I’m guessing a 7.4v pack for the buckpuck and I think that is a recharge port in your pommel insert) then a small chassis using the acrylic discs and rod from the store could be a option, opposed to foam.

A chassis is more secure, and good practice for your next saber!

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalMaz View Post
    Minus the pommel that I forgot to order ��

I am proud of this I need to put some thin foam in the middle which is where I stored the battery so it doesn’t wobble and make noise but outside of that it was very fun to build!!

For a first build I did a buckpuck with a rebel star led. It is a momentary switch so I did the momentary to latching converter just because I like momentary better. Now I need a pommel and blade and I’ll be good to go!!

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347 (1).jpg
    Congrats on your first build! I can't believe your forgot the pommel but not the insert! I always forget the other way around. Don't forget the C-Clip for the insert when you order the pommel!

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post
    Congrats!

If you are using a rechargeable battery pack from the store (I’m guessing a 7.4v pack for the buckpuck and I think that is a recharge port in your pommel insert) then a small chassis using the acrylic discs and rod from the store could be a option, opposed to foam.

A chassis is more secure, and good practice for your next saber!
    I concur, some form of rigid chassis to protect your batteries and wiring. Foam can work, but some form of chassis will protect your wiring, even though its a stunt saber. You don't want a heavy battery in there moving around jarring your solder connections loose. You'll be chasing down issues all the time.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

So I forgot the pommel because I believe when I was moving everything from wishlist to cart the one I wanted was sold out and I missed it. No worries I just ordered a different one however. Also I think the battery I’m using is the 3.7 18650.

I’ll wanted to try a chassis build but it looked pretty complex for a first build. What I did was take a small piece of the plastic electronic shield and pushed it into a heart shape to hold the battery in place.

Building a chassis with TCSS disks and threaded rod is actually pretty easy in your application, and cost effective. 2 battery disks for the 18650, 2 threaded rods, and speaker holder V5. You'd need 2 4-40 nuts for the threaded rod on the terminal end of the chassis. You could have even popped your recharge port in that chassis as well.

Very cool stuff nonetheless. Heck, you can build the chassis after you made your install. I have rebuilt my first MHS saber 4-5 times, depending upon what you call "rebuilding". Each time, was because I learned something new I wanted to try out in it. That saber has become my test platform for new ideas, and as a result, it is a really complex saber right now. It has too much gadgetry in it, if that is possible. With the tutorials Darth Chasm has posted, I'm fixing to modify it yet again.

Keep building! Glad you got her working!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Building a chassis with TCSS disks and threaded rod is actually pretty easy in your application, and cost effective. 2 battery disks for the 18650, 2 threaded rods, and speaker holder V5. You'd need 2 4-40 nuts for the threaded rod on the terminal end of the chassis. You could have even popped your recharge port in that chassis as well.

Very cool stuff nonetheless. Heck, you can build the chassis after you made your install. I have rebuilt my first MHS saber 4-5 times, depending upon what you call "rebuilding". Each time, was because I learned something new I wanted to try out in it. That saber has become my test platform for new ideas, and as a result, it is a really complex saber right now. It has too much gadgetry in it, if that is possible. With the tutorials Darth Chasm has posted, I'm fixing to modify it yet again.

Keep building! Glad you got her working!
    Yea Im pretty excited to go with another and now some of my cosplay friends are like "Oh you can do this now huh" haha so I might be helping them make theirs lol. I saw the video for building a chassis on the TCSS youtube page and it didnt look to hard. Maybe when I decide to go sound Ill go that option.

PS, I added the speaker holder 5, as that would allow the pommel to lock your chassis in, but there are disks that can do that too. i think Disk 5? Its a metal disk that will lock in your disk chassis when you tighten the pommel.

Well, when you build your next one, you'll know. It is like legos.

I added some weathering and tried my hand at etching haha..

I unfortunately didnt get as deep as an etch as I wanted but Im still happy.

saber1.jpgsaber2.jpg

I kind alike that though. Its like as if a Sith is at least trying to go good again or something :P
    Light or dark. the path doesn't matter. What matters is how you act once you have chosen a path

DV6 Saber Hilt

Quote Originally Posted by ZrenTobas87 View Post
    I kind alike that though. Its like as if a Sith is at least trying to go good again or something :P
    Or it was claimed after a kill.