Thread: Do I need to return this board...

Default Do I need to return this board...

Was going to start wiring up a Pico project for my daughter today.

If you look at the following picture you can see the SMD (resistor?) is misaligned. It looks like its making contact with something it shouldn't.
    Opinions? I can't seem to catch a break lately with this hobby....

resistor.jpg

I don't know If I have the eyes or skills to move this properly into the correct spot.resistor2.jpg
    Last edited by deviltronix; 03-24-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: adding picture

I believe that the chip you are referring to is in the proper spot. I will mention it to Zook, so he can take a quick look. If there is indeed an issue, you would send it to Zook (assuming you live here in he U.S.) and he will take care of any repairs for you, as if there is actually an issue, it would likely be covered under the boards warranty.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Ok thanks...looking at the manual and other pictures of the board the chip definitely missed the pad it is supposed to be solder to and is touching/soldered to the structure next to it. (see pic I uploaded, highest res I could find)
    Yes I am ins US.. I dropped TCSS a line as well so they have my email.resistor3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I believe that the chip you are referring to is in the proper spot. I will mention it to Zook, so he can take a quick look. If there is indeed an issue, you would send it to Zook (assuming you live here in he U.S.) and he will take care of any repairs for you, as if there is actually an issue, it would likely be covered under the boards warranty.

It is perfectly fine like it is. That pad is shared by both of those components. It is literally one long pad that both components sit on (shared trace).

The reason they are touching is because the resistor was attracted to the capacitor during the reflow process because they share the pad and the capacitor is thicker and stays hotter for longer.

It doesn't happen all the time but it is quite common with shared traces and there is no reason to be alarmed. Hook it up and enjoy it.

-Michael

Edit...

attaching a pic of an un-populated Pico PCB with a line going to those pads so you can see the pad for peace of mind.

Also each board is tested before bagging and while we do have an occasional issue (usually cold solder joints that dont show up during testing) it is very rare.

picopads.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by deviltronix View Post
    Ok thanks...looking at the manual and other pictures of the board the chip definitely missed the pad it is supposed to be solder to and is touching/soldered to the structure next to it. (see pic I uploaded, highest res I could find)
    Yes I am ins US.. I dropped TCSS a line as well so they have my email.resistor3.jpg
    Last edited by Zook; 03-26-2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: add pic
    MH on FX-Forums

Glad you got some peace of mind deviltronix! Build!!!!

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Thanks for clarifying this!!!! With my bad luck of late, I feared the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by deviltronix View Post
    Thanks for clarifying this!!!! With my bad luck of late, I feared the worst.

That is completely understandable and always better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck with the build.

-Michael
    MH on FX-Forums