Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY Anodizing Video

Blog Entries

Lightbulb DIY Anodizing Video

Steps, references and links to supplies are in the video description.

Addition:
    Thanks to ARKM for reaching out on a point I misspoke about. I said that titanium doesn't anodize while in fact it does.

Here is some more info on the benefits of titanium for rigging. Note that this is in industrial POV.

- Titanium is a silvery gray, lightweight metal with a high strength to weight ratio, good electrical conductivity, high heat transfer efficiency and excellent corrosion resistance. Racks fabricated from chemically pure titanium should be used. The titanium racks do not require stripping and are resistant to attack by most solutions used in the anodizing process. Titanium, being higher in price than the alternative, aluminum alloy, is primarily utilized in high volume, long run production lines. Compared to aluminum alloy, titanium reduces rack maintenance costs and is far more economical in the long term.

OP: Anyone interested in seeing a video of this? If so, I'll go ahead and do one or two depending on results and possible failure.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 03-28-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Yeah, I'm up for that. I love the finishes on your sabers and if you're willing to share I'd love to learn.

Would love to see you do a video about this!
    Why did Isendra die? Tell me the truth!

That it is beyond your abilities does not mean it is beyond mine. I learned the lesson of Isendra's death. But I was given my power for a reason, and it is my burden to use it.
    I will use it, not fear it as you do, High Councilor Valthek

Third vote. Very interested in the technique.

Blog Entries

Ok. I'll see if I can get a successful attempt.

Blog Entries

Not perfect but its good. I'll go and edit the video and post within the next day or two.

I'd love to see this as well DC.
    Funny, cause I've been rolling around doing some videos on finishing as well, probably just paint. I see tons of questions about painting these things, and I certainly have opinions on that.

Blog Entries

OP Updated with video

I never knew anodizing was that simple, well, its simpler than I imagined. I guess as long as you're anodizing, you could do a bunch of parts, including making different colored dye baths? Calculating the surface area seems to be the hardest part of the process.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    I never knew anodizing was that simple, well, its simpler than I imagined. I guess as long as you're anodizing, you could do a bunch of parts, including making different colored dye baths? Calculating the surface area seems to be the hardest part of the process.

Tom
    Yeah you can do multiple parts. You should probably then read up more on solution to surface area ratios and rigging. And yes multiple baths is possible of course. Some people even do multicolor pieces. You can even mask pieces with a resist for colored designs.

i think for diy purposes you can do simplified surface area calculations.