Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Recharge port hookup

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    I guess you could use a charger plug as the "key". I believe Erv sells and recommends a plastic one is because it will not conduct electricity and it's a smaller form factor.

In fact I think in Erv's tutorial he mentions something about using the plug but soldering a screw to it or something...
    DO NOT under any circumstances use a metal "dummy" plug as a kill or key switch in a recharge port--this will create a short in the batteries, causing + & - to effectively be wired together.

Use something plastic/non-conductive or... bad things will happen!!!

This may already have been clear to people posting/reading this... but just wanted to be sure.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, if you used a plug that wasn't wired to anything... it's not going to short. If that were true it'd short everytime you charged it.

I wasn't reffering to a metal key acting like the ones Erv sells... just one of the recharge plugs like Tim sells. Especially now that he has the ones with the Taimya plugs. Just use that not hooked to the charger.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Well I have Question does anybody have the rough Dimensions of the Recharge Port, I am thinking of adding one to my Stunt Hilt and I am hoping there will be enough room for both the Port and the Pushbutton on the Pommel End of a Style 1, I know it will be close. Also what is the advantage of using the 2.5 vs 2.1mm plug other than size?
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before Me"
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by GFORCE13
    Well I have Question does anybody have the rough Dimensions of the Recharge Port, I am thinking of adding one to my Stunt Hilt and I am hoping there will be enough room for both the Port and the Pushbutton on the Pommel End of a Style 1, I know it will be close. Also what is the advantage of using the 2.5 vs 2.1mm plug other than size?
    Externally, the 2.1 and 2.5 are the same size. Only the ID of the female piece and the OD of the male piece is different. The OD of the female is the same size for both.

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Well, if you used a plug that wasn't wired to anything... it's not going to short. If that were true it'd short everytime you charged it.
    I am saying exactly what happened to me. A metal kill switch/empty recharge port that led nowhere--tripped the PCB on my batteries. Then again, it could be the particular connector I was using. I don't know.

Connecting it to a plug where the juice has somewhere to go, like the charger unit--works fine, no shorts.

I may be missing some things here, but I have NO idea how one could use a metal/dummy version of their recharge port for their kill switch... and not REALLY kill things!

I am glad the Li-Ions have the PCB. Moe than ever since THAT little stunt of mine... d'oh. What was I THINKING. Actually, there it is... I *wasn't* thinking.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

The power plugs we now use are harder to short out with a metal (unhooked) plug than the older headphone style setups I used to use. Tht's not to say it can't be done, but it's harder.
    I'm currently scouring the various hardware stores, RC shops and electronic stores to try and find an off the shelf plastic plug that fits into the recharge ports to function as a safety key. I'll post pics if/when I find something.

Corbin

For the record, a little "nylon hose barb" in the 1/8" size will work nicely in a stereo jack port when it is slightly shaved down a bit on the OD.

Granted, it may not be the most ideal setup.

I just bought some PVC tubing yesterday that's almost perfect. It fits snugly over the center pin of the 2.5mm ports and easily over the 2.1mm pins. It cuts power to both when inserted. I just need to add some sort of cap to the tube and it should be good. I'm looking into that now.

Corbin

Would machinging something out of poly carb be worth the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre
    Would machinging something out of poly carb be worth the cost?
    Not sure. Might look at casting them too. We'll see.

Any suggestions for what the cap or outer portion should look like? A key like thing? A thumbscrew looking deal? Maybe a dome? A crystal? Maybe a small ring with a lanyard?

The section of tubing I have is like 16" long, so I'll probably make a few different models and see what works best. I tried one of those brass eyelets that screws into a wall to hook things on and it works pretty well. The ring could allow for a lanyard too I suppose. I was also thinking of adding a fake jeweled cabochon to either side of the loop. Might look nice.

This method I'm using makes a nice piece, but it's more labor intensive to make them that it would be to find and just buy a bunch of off the shelf pieces that happen to work or to just have some made up. Still, it allows for customization I suppose.

Corbin