Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Recharge port hookup

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

This might sound like a stupid question, but did you put the insulated part of the wires on the inside of the power jack?

And you don't need to actually wrap the wire through the holes, or around the terminals, just bend the wire into little "j"s to hook through the holes, then crimp them down flat with needle nose pliers and you only need a little bit of solder to hold the wires onto the terminals, just fill up the hole and get a little on the end of the wire till it's coated with the solder. The connection will be quite strong.

With that method, there shouldn't be too much bulk that would interfere with the protective cap going o
    n over the wiring.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 02-17-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I have a question about the charger. What voltage is the charger? And what is the polarity?

About the kill switch.... say I was going to be using a recharge port with Erv's board but didn't have a kill switch. Would I risk blowing out my board every time I recharged?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The only downside to not using a plug to kill it will be the constant battery drain... no risk of blowing at recharge.

Erv recommends wiring that way though, because there is no risk of turning it on while charging which might create some bad stuff. It's common sense so i don't always do it, but it doesn't hurt!
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Yup. I highly recommend a kill switch on any rechargeable saber with a driver board.

Not really important if you are going direct-drive + rechargeable though.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I'm still slightly fuzzy on how exactly the kill switch works as well. So if you've got it wired up to use the kill switch, the dummy key you use will cut off all power to the board, correct? And the same thing will happen when you put in the plug for the charger? If that's the case, what's the need for a key to cut the power if the charger plug will do it?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I guess you could use a charger plug as the "key". I believe Erv sells and recommends a plastic one is because it will not conduct electricity and it's a smaller form factor.

In fact I think in Erv's tutorial he mentions something about using the plug but soldering a screw to it or something...
    RED LEADER Standing by!

ok, maybe im retarded or it just doesnt make sense to me because i dont have the recharge kit in front of me, but i dont get the wiring. i dont get where the battery kit connects to the electronics of the saber... is there a completly seperate piece that goes from the battery pack that wires to everything else? should i just wait to get a driver/sound board to get a recharge pack?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Where it says "to saber" on them that goes to whatever electronics you are running. It can just be a resistor on up to a fancy all in one board. The batteries don't directly connect to your electronics so that you can charge the pack.

It's like a switch in a resistor setup... your just blocking/shunt the flow of power.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

ok i think i get it, i just couldnt tell what that thing was....now i know.