Thread: Tips on More Accurate Clashes? - Prizm v5.1

Default Tips on More Accurate Clashes? - Prizm v5.1

Hey guys, just wondering if you guys have any advice for getting more accurate clashes. I finished my build the other day and I've been trying to tweak the settings to where I like them. The swings seem to be alright; however, I keep getting a few random clashes fairly often when I go to do a simple swing. When I do this I don't jerk the saber at all so I don't see how a clash is activated. I'm using some double sided acrylic tape to hold the board down. Could that be the problem? Also, I let the saber fully charge and it still happened, so I'm assuming the only thing that could cause it are tiny movements of the board inside the hilt. Any help is greatly appreciated. Just looking for some experience here as I'm assuming this is a fairly common problem.

TLDR: Best way to secure board on chassis?

If the board has any movement inside the hilt it can certainly cause "misfires" in the motion sensor. I've even had clashes activate due to high volume bass speaker before the chassis was locked down when testing.

Securing the chassis depends mostly on the chassis itself and your hilt. Most use a set screw similar to how the blade is held in, others the TCSS disks that rest between threaded hilt parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    If the board has any movement inside the hilt it can certainly cause "misfires" in the motion sensor. I've even had clashes activate due to high volume bass speaker before the chassis was locked down when testing.

Securing the chassis depends mostly on the chassis itself and your hilt. Most use a set screw similar to how the blade is held in, others the TCSS disks that rest between threaded hilt parts.
    Appreciate the help! I didn't even think about the speaker interfering with the sensor. Maybe I'll try to move the board a bit farther from the speaker, or turn down the volume a bit. I have a Graflex 2.5 kit and I'm using a Goth3Designs Padawan chassis. The chassis is very secure as I put some tape around the end to make it even more snug when inserting it into the inner core, and then used a set screw as well. So I believe the problem is how the board itself is secured onto the chassis. It must be just barely moving side to side causing clashes, even though its being held by the double sided tape. Either that or the previously mentioned speaker problem. Hmm....

Easy way to see if it's a speaker problem.....set main volume down to 3 or even 2 then try to see if the false clashes still happen.

Remember clash is caused by a jarring motion. Impact. Rough shake, etc. So unless the chassis/board can move enough to "jar" itself it's probably something else. Also double check your clash settings against the manual.

You can also reduce clash sensitivity in the settings, depending upon which board you are using. Read the directions for your board.

Also, I use a dab of E6000 in the corners to secure the boards down when they don't clamp into a 3D Printed part, but often even then, a tiny dab of E6000 on the corners can make sure the board doesn't get any wiggles/tremors that are unwanted. Plus, the elasticity of the E6000 can be a bit of a shock absorber.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

So I just lowered the volume to 2 and it has noticeably decreased the amount of random clashes. Weirdly enough, it also seemed to make it harder to activate a swing, but thats not a hard fix. Anyways, before I lowered it, it was happening the most with this font called Wampa Stompa which always sounded just a tad bit louder than my other fonts. So I guess it makes sense that the speaker was causing it.

Obviously I would much rather have the volume maxed out though, so I'm unsure how to fix this. I'm using a 28mm bass speaker, but I do have a premium speaker. Do you guys think it would be worth it to try and replace the speaker? I feel like thats all I can do since I can't really move the board back any more due to the way I wired it up.

Which board are you running? If you are running a nano, prism, or other, odds are clash sensitivities are adjustable without going through this volume and speaker mess.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Which board are you running? If you are running a nano, prism, or other, odds are clash sensitivities are adjustable without going through this volume and speaker mess.

Tom
    I'm using a Prizm v5.1, but I already have the hclash set at the max threshold (1023).

Gate? Which controls all motion, you can adjust that too. Have you tried backing your HClash down below 1023, like to a low number. I always get those confused. Low number, harder to trigger, high number easier to trigger or the opposite? I don't recall which is which. At any rate, I think adjusting the settings both gate and HClash is key. That was point, didn't mean to sound snippy. I spend hours fine tuning the settings on every saber I build. Each saber install is unique, and carries its own nuances you have to adjust the settings to compensate for. I'm never happy with factory settings, well they worked perfectly on my first NBIV install, but other than that, I've always had to tinker with them.

From the Prism manual:

The board has 2 motion classes: swing and clash. Each class is defined by a specific
    threshold (hswing, hclash) above which the associated sound is triggered. Both
    thresholds are defined between 0 and 1023 for a maximized accuracy in the motion
    calculation and for an improved resolution in the motion settings.
    Finally, there’s a motion gate parameter to define the minimum quantity of motion
    required to activate the motion engine. This value isn’t critical but can be adjusted in
    the case of excess of vibrations due to the proximity of speaker or rumbling motor,
    thought the digital dual sensor is quite immune to vibrations and battery voltage
    ripple.
     gate [0-200]: minimum motion quantity required to start the motion
    recognition engine. Base value between 15 to 50 works fine (default: 20)
     hswing [0-1023]: swing threshold (120-220).
     hclash [0-1023]: clash threshold (550-880).
    Last edited by Tom Tilmon; 03-14-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Wow! Must've missed that one. Thank you so much! I'll have to mess around with that and see what happens.