Thread: This can't be right...can it?

Default This can't be right...can it?

So I am trying to figure out resistance for putting an accent LED onto the power indicator pad of a NBv4

Power from board 3.3V
    Most accent leds I found were between 2 and 3.8V @ 20mA (.02A) so lets say 2V

So:
    (3.3-2) 1.3 / .02A = 65ohms
    (3.3-2) 1.3 * .02A = 0.026W

That can't be right...can it?
    If its right where do I find THAT resistor?
    Fear.. fear attracts the fearful...the strong...the weak.. the innocent...the corrupt...
    fear is my ally

Looks about right. For accent LED resistors use 1/8W or 1/4W resistors.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

looks right to me. I have used 57-82 ohm resistors on red accents. Use the DS pad if you're feeling froggy. The coolest part about NBIV is deep sleep. If you wire to that pad you want to, you lose deep sleep. Don't let that little DS pad intimidate you!

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Is this also true for the Pico Crumble? Both manuals say the same thing but the NB manual gives a warning, the Pico Crumble manual doesnt?
    If is true, where is best place to wire accent led on PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    looks right to me. I have used 57-82 ohm resistors on red accents. Use the DS pad if you're feeling froggy. The coolest part about NBIV is deep sleep. If you wire to that pad you want to, you lose deep sleep. Don't let that little DS pad intimidate you!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by deviltronix View Post
    Is this also true for the Pico Crumble? Both manuals say the same thing but the NB manual gives a warning, the Pico Crumble manual doesnt?
    If is true, where is best place to wire accent led on PC?
    The NBv4 has two 3.3v pads you can use to wire an accent LED, for “Power Indicator”.
    Plecter Labs NBv4 manual
    On Page 14, it shows you where to wire the accent LED so that as long as the board has power, the accent LED is on (even in deep sleep mode). This is not ideal for longer saber non-use, as it will drain the battery quicker, as something is always on, drawing power, unless you have some way of cutting power to the board (say a Kill key).
    On Page 15, it shows you where to wire the accent LED so that it will be on if the board has power, and turn off when the board goes into Deep Sleep.

The Pico Crumble 2.1 (to me, PC stands for Petit Crouton) has two 3.3v pads you can use to wire an accent LED.
    Plecter Labs Pico Crumble 2.1 manual
    On the top of Page 6, it shows you where to wire the accent LED so that it will be on if the board has power, and turn off when the board goes into Deep Sleep (“Power Indicator”). This is just like page 15 of the NBv4.
    On the bottom of Page 6, it shows you where to wire the accent LED so that it will only be on, when the blade is active (“Blade Power Indicator”).
    If your use either option, the LED will NOT be constantly on, like the first option for the NBv4, that is why you don’t see the same warning.

As for “the best place to wire an accent LED” is wherever is needed, as to how YOU want the accent LED to function. That is the beauty of Erv’s Sound Cards, just enough customization options.
    Last edited by bigkevin61; 03-18-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post
    As for “the best place to wire an accent LED” is wherever is needed, as to how YOU want the accent LED to function. That is the beauty of Erv’s Sound Cards, just enough customization options.
    You dont even have to wire an accent LED to the board if you dont want to

Another question, does the power indicator light stay on even when the blade is ignited? Or does the indicator go out when the blade is activated?
    Fear.. fear attracts the fearful...the strong...the weak.. the innocent...the corrupt...
    fear is my ally

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Banyon View Post
    Another question, does the power indicator light stay on even when the blade is ignited? Or does the indicator go out when the blade is activated?
    I believe so.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I believe so.
    Hey FJK have you ever used an Arduino board? Are you familiar with them at all?
    fear is my ally

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Banyon View Post
    Hey FJK have you ever used an Arduino board? Are you familiar with them at all?
    No, I haven’t. I don’t have a need to. I simply use the “right board for the job” which in my case, tends to be the CF, since (as far as I’m concerned) is STILL the premier saber sound card. I’ve used NBs, Prizms and such, when requested by clients. I’ve been using CFs for 10 years, and have NEVER had a major issue.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines