Thread: first build, Need a Math check on my resistor calculations....

Question first build, Need a Math check on my resistor calculations....

so my first build is going to be a NBv4 driving a Tri-Cree XP-E2 running off an 18650 (3.7V) the dies are going to be Amber, Amber and White. white will be FoC

Amber Cree Part# XPEBPA-L1-0000-00D01
    107 Minimum Luminous Flux @ 350mA
    Forward Voltage @1000mA = 3.28v

White Cree Part# XPEBWT-L1-0000-00F51
    266 Minimum Luminous Flux @ 1000mA
    Forward Voltage @1000mA = 3.15v

ok so now for the math I need checked.....

Amber dies running together one resistor on each
    R = (3.7 - 3.2 .42 * 1.0A =.42Ω
    P = (3.7 - 3.2 .42 / 1.0A = .42W
    closest resistor I found in the TCSS store was .47Ω .5W

White die running as a periodic FoC one resistor
    R = (3.7 - 3.15) .55 * 1.0A = .55Ω
    P = (3.7 - 3.15) .55 / 1.0A = .55W
    Closest resistors I found were .47Ω .5W, .5Ω 3W and 1Ω 2W

Am I even close to being right? or am I waaaay off, and why?
    Fear.. fear attracts the fearful...the strong...the weak.. the innocent...the corrupt...
    fear is my ally

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    are you sure that Vf is correct for the amber? looks like it should be 2.2v @ 1000ma.
    http://www.cree.com/led-components/m.../XLampXPE2.pdf

The numbers I listed are what TCSS had listed in the shop
    Fear.. fear attracts the fearful...the strong...the weak.. the innocent...the corrupt...
    fear is my ally

OMG!! so I'm having a hard enough time calculating ohms law for the numbers listed on TCSS for the LEDs and now this data sheet (which I cant make heads or tails of ) tells me that the numbers TCSS has listed on the page with the LEDs is wrong....? This is extremely frustrating....I'm already feeling discouraged.
    fear is my ally

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Banyon View Post
    OMG!! so I'm having a hard enough time calculating ohms law for the numbers listed on TCSS for the LEDs and now this data sheet (which I cant make heads or tails of ) tells me that the numbers TCSS has listed on the page with the LEDs is wrong....? This is extremely frustrating....I'm already feeling discouraged.
    Don’t get discouraged. You used the correct information in the shop, so your calculation results will also be accurate. For the white you could go with the .5 Ohm 1W. Carry on.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 03-10-2018 at 07:36 AM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Don’t get discouraged. You used the correct information in the shop, so your calculation results will also be accurate. For the white you could go with the .5 Ohm 1W. Carry on.

I didn't see a .5ohm 1W available in the shop but I can order it online if need be...
    fear is my ally