Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Crystals...

Those look pretty good. They crystals aren’t going to be blindingly bright. I’ve used quartz crystals in just about all of the chambers when I do them.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks FJK...they do look better in the pics than in person. Do you just put the led against the end of the quartz and no other special mods or techniques to make it brighter? I recall a post about focusing light into a crystal?

Pretty much. Its not easy to “focus” a 3 or 5 mm LED. If you have something holding the LED. It may help somewhat.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Focus is actually the problem, not the goal.. You don't want a flawless crystal. If it's somewhat cloudy, cracked, or has other inclusions in it, then it will look better because it will catch the light, where as a perfectly clear crystal will not really light up at all.

On a related note, do you guys prefer raw crystals or crystals that have been neatly cut/faceted? And why? I personally like the look of raw crystals for a power crystal, and (if it's a dual crystal chamber) a clean cut crystal for the focusing crystal. I feel like a raw crystal wouldn't really be that good at focusing the energy of a lightsaber, but maybe that's just me.

The problem with a cut and polished crystal is that it won't capture the light.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    The problem with a cut and polished crystal is that it won't capture the light.
    That depends on the base crystal and the imperfections in it. A cut and polished crystal can still have cloudy imperfections to capture the light.

A mostly clear crystal can work, all I find that you need are just a few flecks.

IMG_20180721_224649.jpg

For me it depends upon what the customer is going to do with the saber. If you are going to fight with it and bang it around a real crystal is probably not a great idea. The resin crystals actually transmit light differently than a natural crystal as well. The more inclusions in a natural crystal the better it lights up. If it is too clear it isn't going to be very bright. Made crystals can be sanded easily to transmit a ton of light. I also use Polycarbonate cylinders as crystals with a mat finish on the outside, these are very bright and very strong. If supported on both ends you can do some hard play with them and not worry about breaking them.

Short answer is Yes...... I use both.......

This thread is great info on crystals from both sides of real crystals vs. synthetic crystals. Possible sticky for apprentices? Jedi or Sith respectively of course.