Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crystals...

I do love real crystals, the only problem is they typically light up like crap. I've done some heat cracking tests that are either somewhere here or on FX that help make it a bit more interesting, but a nice clear crystal is the worst possible option. It will simply transmit the light like glass instead of diffusing and diffracting it in interesting ways.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PCModulus View Post
    Yep, only real ones
    Only Yoda

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

I bought some real ones tied on a string from michaels. They池e rough and odd shaped. I used my phone flashlight to light and they look sweet!

I tried the Michael's thing on a string, and they just weren't impressing me for the price. I found a gem/mineral shop nearby today and bought 5 quartz crystals for under 10 dollars. I would highly recommend looking in your area. These shops usually sell them based on 1) weight 2) cut. 3) rarity. The sizes were are looking for weigh very little, and quartz is very common, so you can find crystals between $1 - 3 per crystal at a gem/minerals shop. Would highly recommend.

That’s not bad! The michaels we’re about 10 for $4. .. they had a 50% off��

I like real quartz a lot. You can find more opaque crystals that tend to diffuse better. Clear don't work well as previously stated. I've lit them with 5mm and neopixel. I have one saber with a plastic crystal. It looks ok. My others are all quartz! Fount em on the webs.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    That would be me and they are the ones sold by the store. No they are not for everyone but they do offer a specified size, something you aren稚 always guaranteed with online suppliers. They are also an all in one space saver option and easy to mount. Currently, we are working on some additional ideas and sizes for even more great, alternative options and even easier mounting.
    Oh ya it was you. Lol, sorry DC I hope I didn稚 offend you.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    That would be me and they are the ones sold by the store. No they are not for everyone but they do offer a specified size, something you aren’t always guaranteed with online suppliers. They are also an all in one space saver option and easy to mount. Currently, we are working on some additional ideas and sizes for even more great, alternative options and even easier mounting.
    Oh ya, you made some too. Lol, sorry DC I hope I didn’t offend you.

Oops I said it twice. that means I meant it.
    Last edited by Jediseth; 03-13-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Apologies if this is bad form given how long this thread has been inactive, but not finding a ton on the forums around lighting quartz crystals. Web searches are trash as you get pages of healing crystal posts. I have done lots of CCs with the TCSS rgb crystals and most look good. I just gutted my TGS ANH in hilt led/prism...it was my second build over a year ago...doing it better with neo and CFX. I also wanted to do a quartz so I picked up a bag online for a few bucks. Testing lighting it with a 5mm rgb and not loving the results. I filled the exterior to trap more light. I don’t think it would make sense to try to bore out a spot to get the 5mm I to the crystal. Just looking for thoughts. I ordered some fiber optic to try out, but not sure what the tiny metal tubes Yoda uses to get them into his crystals is. Any tips that have worked for you would be appreciated! I will post a pic of my latest test, although it’s showing up way better I’m the picture than In person.