Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crystals...

Default Crystals...

Do most of you use Real Quartz Crystals with RGB led?
    I ordered a custom saber shop crystal and while it is pretty cool, the diameter is too small for my Starkiller build (I ordered style 2..style 1 has a slightly larger diameter but I still think it will be too small).

If I am going to use a real quartz crystal I was thinking I could drill a hole in the hidden end of the crystal (end inside emitter) and then embed the RGB inside there. Anyone who wants to share their experience would be greatly appreciated.
    I've watched a few videos on youtube but they all seem to concentrate more on building the chamber than going in depth on the crystal and illumination

Some people order a bag or "Quartz Crystal Points" aka rough cut, unfaced, unpolished. Other people find a faced, polished crystal. Find one with inclusions in it (imperfections, internal 'cracks' and imperfections or impurities that will help distort the light). You don't want a perfectly clear one or the light will just shine through it, as if it was a perfectly clear lightsaber blade.

You can find natural, real quartz crystals online, at a local gem/mineral store, or find a local "spiritual earth" minded store. Not to degenerate individuals interests (our interests are fancy flashlight swords), but I'm referring to those gemshops and mineral shops that sell healing crystals and spiritual stones geared towards people that believe that specific crystals have certain healing properties. I told the girl at the counter all about our fictional Khyber crystals and she helped me find a good sized crystal for $5 since it didn't have to be a perfect crystal and I wanted those imperfections in it. I held them up to my cell phone flashlight to see how the light would reflect and refract inside the crystals.

I haven't gotten to the mounting of the LED yet, so hopefully some more experienced smiths can lend some advice.

For me I get much more excited about a real crystals. Think about getting a very cool high end saber that has a lot of work put into it only to find out it has a plastic or molded crystal in it. Ya it kind of ruins it for me. I only like genuine crystals. So I guess the Sith used sometimes synthetic crystals, but I don’t care I like them real. I know a few here tried their hand at making some just before The store sold them and it just never appealed to me at all. The great thing is most crystals don’t cost a fortune.

Typically, real crystals are used. They are generally lit by a 3 or 5mm LED. I usually use RGB LEDs in my builds, when I do crystal chambers. In the Crystal Chamber tutorial video, I thought I went over things that you could use/adapt to your purposes (it’s been a while).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    For me I get much more excited about a real crystals. Think about getting a very cool high end saber that has a lot of work put into it only to find out it has a plastic or molded crystal in it. Ya it kind of ruins it for me. I only like genuine crystals. So I guess the Sith used sometimes synthetic crystals, but I don’t care I like them real. I know a few here tried their hand at making some just before The store sold them and it just never appealed to me at all. The great thing is most crystals don’t cost a fortune.
    I can understand that...I'm the same way about alot of things. Being new to the hobby, I'm very open to different solutions. Eventually I'd like to try printing my own but I haven't invested in a 3D printer yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    I know a few here tried their hand at making some just before The store sold them and it just never appealed to me at all.
    That would be me and they are the ones sold by the store. No they are not for everyone but they do offer a specified size, something you aren’t always guaranteed with online suppliers. They are also an all in one space saver option and easy to mount. Currently, we are working on some additional ideas and sizes for even more great, alternative options and even easier mounting.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

I definitely remember your video!! It's probably closet to the setup I'll go with. I really like the idea of the TCSS RGB crystals, I just wish they didn't look to teensy in my hilt.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    That would be me and they are the ones sold by the store. No they are not for everyone but they do offer a specified size, something you aren’t always guaranteed with online suppliers. They are also an all in one space saver option and easy to mount. Currently, we are working on some additional ideas and sizes for even more great, alternative options and even easier mounting.
    Darth.. I really like them. They look great lit up and are super convenient. If we had a 1 or more size with more girth you'd have almost everyone covered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deviltronix View Post
    Darth.. I really like them. They look great lit up and are super convenient. If we had a 1 or more size with more girth you'd have almost everyone covered.
    #soon
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––