Thread: MHS Heat Sink V4 vs. V3 (Yes, Another VS thread)

Default MHS Heat Sink V4 vs. V3 (Yes, Another VS thread)

While my first preference would be to go with V3 for the added cooling capacity, it is currently out of stock in the store. This is the last piece I need to order to start my first build so my question is: How do the V3 and V4 heat sinks stack up against one another? Is it worth waiting for the V3 to get back in stock or will the V4 work just as well. Retrofitting an old US stunt saber with a tri-Cree (R,R,RB), illuminated AV switch and a NB4.

I don't know if this was true or still holds true, or if it is sound advice, but I remember looking around for an answer to the same question and the "strongest" opinion that I uncovered in these forums was that the difference is negligible. Only the initial rim of either heat sink is making contact with the aluminum body of the hilt. The The longer V3 heatsink isn't making more contact, per se, since it extends farther into the hilt but the extension isn't making contact and thus isn't dissipating more heat to the body. That made sense to me, and for my design and blade holder choice I selected the flat style heat sink as a result. Perhaps this might stir some thought on the topic.

The V4 will be fine, as long as you leave a little room behind (under) heat sink.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

V4 has more surface area touching the aluminum can and since the heat transfers from the copper to the aluminum can and then into the blade holder/hilt piece next to it the difference really should be minor if much at all.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Thanks Everyone! Now I can complete my order as soon as the next paycheck comes in!