Thread: Hello. New to the forum, and somewhat new to saber building.

Default Hello. New to the forum, and somewhat new to saber building.

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum but I'm a big fan of the YouTube channel. It was a big help for me to have a visual guide to this "rabbit hole" I've fallen into. Anyway, a little backstory about how I've tripped and fallen so deeply.

I usually spend my winter months playing a very obscure sport called platform tennis (paddle). I got hurt half way through my season and ended up with a lot of time on my hands. Couple that with some unusually cold and snowy days that kept my kids home from school, the release of Last Jedi and there was a powder keg waiting for a spark. "Dad, can you make a light saber?" Kaboom.

It started off very small. PVC, spray paint, glue... It took tons of time sanding and painting for a result that looked like a BS toy. Not good enough results for the time input. Next, it was chrome sink pipe and dissected electronic components like bad hard drives and anything with a circuit board. I made several hood looking handles, but the kids would always say "does it light up?'

Ughhh.... Not yet. Next it was sound, LEDs, power supplies, RESISTORS, switching, and a Minor in minor electronic. I took apart a few BladeBuilder and walmart laser sword sounds boards. Burned a couple. Then blade design and difusing the LEDS.

Long and short, I really like making lightsabers and I'm a big fan of The Shop. I'm almost ready for some of the better sound boards I think.

Here is some of my work...

[IMG]fullsizeoutput_2ed0 by rpiroli, on Flickr[/IMG] [IMG]IMG_4538 by rpiroli, on Flickr[/IMG] [IMG]IMG_4620 by rpiroli, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG]IMG_4576 by rpiroli, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ronpir; 03-04-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Welcome to the party dude. You already have some fine sabers there. Good work.
    Thanks for the comment in my thread.

Greenie

Oh! Those are really fun! Welcome.

Rabbit Hole indeed! Welcome, lots of carrots about.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."