Thread: momentary switch vs latching switch

Default momentary switch vs latching switch

Hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between momentary switches and latching switches? want to make sure i am looking at the right item. i have a couple sabers and one press and sabers powers up, but one saber i press and saber powers down, others i depress button till it turns off, which have momentary vs latching?

What sound cards do those sabers have in them?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

a Latching switch will either slide and stay in place until slide back to off, ..... or you push it and it "clicks" into place, and pressing again releases it.

Momentary you press it and it returns to the original position once released.

Latching works like a light switch, it "latches" the circuit open ("off") or closed ("on") and may or may not physical remain in place.
    Momentary is like a key on you keyboard or TV remote, it temporarily completes the circuit, then returns to it's original position when released.

Some sound cards require a long press on a momentary switch, doesnt mean it latches. Latching (stays on or stays off) is the opposite of momentary (is only ON or off when pressed) Depending on the momentary switch you buy, it can be normally open (completes circuit) or normally closed (breaks circuit).