Thread: Dead Tri-Cree LED?

Default Dead Tri-Cree LED?

I'm wiring up my second ever tri-Cree LED from TCSS, to convert a "Rey's" Force FX lightsaber following this guide. It's a B/B/W star and I'm wiring them all up in parallel so I didn't bother to check the individual LEDs before soldering the wires on.

Unfortunately once I got it all wired up to the soundboard and tested it with the battery pack, I noticed that only the two blue LEDs were coming on. I unsoldered the contacts for the white LED and tested it with a button cell battery, but haven't been able to get it to light up at all.

Could I have blown it out while soldering? I don't think I ever touched the LED module itself. Or is there a chance I just received a defective star?

What are you powering it with?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

It's being powered by the 3 AAs connected to the stock Force FX soundcard. According to the conversion guide I'm following, you don't need resistors with this setup, and I thought white LEDs need less resistance anyway? Or am I misunderstanding that?

Then once I saw it wasn't working, I unsoldered it and tested it with a little 3v button cell battery that I keep taped to a couple of wires for testing situations like this (and which lit up the blue LEDs no problem).
    Last edited by harmless_toast; 03-01-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harmless_toast View Post
    It's being powered by the 3 AAs connected to the stock Force FX soundcard. According to the conversion guide I'm following, you don't need resistors with this setup, and I thought white LEDs need less resistance anyway? Or am I misunderstanding that?

Then once I saw it wasn't working, I unsoldered it and tested it with a little 3v button cell battery that I keep taped to a couple of wires for testing situations like this (and which lit up the blue LEDs no problem).
    There is NO WAY that 3 AA’s can properly power a Tri-Cree. It may be able to light them up, but not at anywhere near full power. Also, you would need a resistor on the White (and the Blues). My guess is you may have popped the White LED.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com