Thread: 26 vs 28 gauge wire

Default 26 vs 28 gauge wire

This might be an elementary question, but I've seen/read about builds with both 26 and 28 gauge wire. So my question is, which is better? What are the pros and cons? Thanks!

26 gauge is a little bit thicker, but supports a little more current. Unless you've got an extreme cram-fu setup with hidden wires running through your crystal chamber and whatnot, you can use 26 gauge everywhere and it'll be fine.

You only need to swap to the 28 gauge if the 26 takes up too much room.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I use 26, 28, and 30. Depends upon the load. For neopixel stuff, a lot of 26. 28 is generally an all around good general purpose wire capable of carrying the amperage loads for most in-hilt LED setups.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Thanks Everyone!. I'm prepping for my first build, fairly basic, so I think I'll with 26.

Blog Entries

I use 30 AWG for most connections, but I've been uncertain about how it might perform with a tri-Cree. Do you use the 30AWG for the main LEDS (with 3.7V LiIon)? And with no problems?

I used 30AWG on the led's for my Graflex 2.0. A tri-cree B,Rb,W and it's been working great for at least a year. =)

The material, length and construction are all as important to the conversation as the current and voltage. If you tried using 30awg, stranded aluminum wire for your pixel blad,e you'd be just about guaranteed to experience a rapid unplanned disassembly by means of thermal event.

Any sort of low current item like switches, sensors, 5mm LEDs can probably use any wire you want, your LEDs should use higher quality and thickness. If you use pixels you should use at least 24awg copper wire.

I am definatly an overkill kind of guy. Signal wires for buttons, switches ,speakers and 5mm led's 26-28. (Usually braided)

Power bus wiring - solid core pre- tinned 22ga. Someone needs to make a thinner jacket/insulation for 22-24ga wires.

Lately I have been using 22 -24 ga clear enameled magnet wire. Not for everyone, but its working ok for me.

Every time I've tried using enameled wire, I've managed to nick it along the run, leading to the potential for a short. It's also a pain to sand off.