Thread: weathering techniques that are pet safe?

Default weathering techniques that are pet safe?

Does anyone know which weathering methods are the most pet friendly? I picked up a bottle of bead buddy jewelers patina from michaels thinking maybe jewelry quality patina (therefore meant to be touched) might be safer than Aluminum Black. It might not matter how toxic the weathering is if i clear coat it, but im still concerned.

Short backstory: moved in with girlfriend, she has extremely friendly cats. Ive never had cats, but i know they rub themselves on EVERYTHING and i dont want to make them sick from my hobby.

Am i worried for no reason? Are cats secretly robots and i should just continue crafting? Are there smiths out there with pets that can share their wisdom on this topic?

Thank you.
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

Dry, aluminum black shouldnt be toxic. I have cats, but hate weathering. I would think anything that is toxic to humans would be the rule, but like i said, once its dry....

I live with two cats and I can speak perfectly frankly when I say you are worrying needlessly. First of all you will never have enough material rubbing off of your saber to make anything ill. Secondly, think about paint for a moment. It's not safe to eat but we put it on everything from walls to furniture etc.

Wonderful!! I rather be a nervous nelly than dangerously aloof.

I really appreciate you guys getting back to me so soon.
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

Quote Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
    I live with two cats and I can speak perfectly frankly when I say you are worrying needlessly. First of all you will never have enough material rubbing off of your saber to make anything ill. Secondly, think about paint for a moment. It's not safe to eat but we put it on everything from walls to furniture etc.
    Youre assuming people dont eat paint chips.