Thread: Tapping/Drilling through threaded sections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tapping/Drilling through threaded sections

shotorender1.jpg
    Hello all, I was playing with the saber builder and found a design I really like. Being a fan of short one-handed hilts, it's hard to get a design below 10 inches. I have a design I like that is 9.6 inches, but doesn't leave a lot of unthreaded room for mounting switches and charging ports. Is it possible to order it and have the holes pre-drilled through the threaded section? I could ask them to be aligned and red-loctited beforehand. Or is this rather something I would have to do myself?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

That’s a question better sent directly to the store.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

If you have a drill press, do it yourself. I built a 9.5” mhs for my son and the chassis is retained at the neck by two screws. In the threads... worked out great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 12.48.15 PM.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have space for a workshop, fortunately, it appears i do not need one

I drill through the threads all the time. Just be extra cautious to clean up the burrs surrounding the holes. Also, know that separating the parts becomes impossible without removing whatever you are popping through!!! Glad you got it. My Mako saber has a switch popped right down through the threads. I'd prefer that whole piece to be solid anyway. You can still fish wires and such through the saber with various fishing tapes, hangers, etc. I have creative ways of fishing wires in saber bodies. Good luck with your build!!!!!

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Tom View Post
    Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 12.48.15 PM.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have space for a workshop, fortunately, it appears i do not need one
    Harbor Freight sells drill bits that drill, tap and deburr all in the same action. Just for fyi.

By the pictures you aded (what you want to do) is not tap and drill. You are needing holes drilled through the sections for a box mount. In the pictures you are showing the box with the AV Switch and recharge port. That is different then tap and drill.

I think....and I'm no expert....you need to think about how you will be doing final assembly. How will you get the switch and charge port secured inside the drilled hole? you could use some long hemostats or pliers or something but that is going to be a tough job to get them secured. Why not use one of the beautiful pre-drilled switch covers you can purchase on the TCSS site and move the charge port and switch to the forward section of your saber? Then you can attach the charge port and switch to that and use one or two screws to secure it to your hilt. TCSS can even set that up for you by milling the access port below the cover plate. It also moves your hand naturally to the center of the hilt making it easier for your motion sensor to capture momentum. Just sayin.......

Major_Tom....
    If you don't already have them...Harbor Freight has a set of Mini Files that can be used to clean up the threaded section that has been drilled through, also use a wire brush to get all the grit out. If you still find it difficult to the the threaded sections together use a little tooth paste on the threads and carefully work them back and forth and that will also clean them up, rinse and your ready to go. Sounds like you want these sections to act as a single piece so that simplifies it further. Gary