Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Teensy Neopixel Kylo Ren Sabers with 26650 scratch-built chassis

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    Love the use of the Lego hinge.

Great job.
    Thank you, I work with what I have.

So, all this Smoothswing insanity is about to revolutionize saber sound boards, and its happening as we speak! It is awesome stuff for sure. Thanks to Thexter and Profezorn/Teensysaber and the flexibility of Arduino programming. Crazy stuff. So, what is smoothswing? Well, its basically changing the idea of how a saber makes swing sounds by creating a Doppler shift of the hum sound using an algorithm that is pretty darn cool. So, instead of having individual swing sounds with in a font, the smoothswing uses up to 8 pairs of shifted hums to generate the smoothswing effect. I already had a smoothswing experimental font on the saber, but it was "gray", which was the darkest that was out there right now. KSith just popped out an experimental version of smoothswing on his Krossguard font, and I got to be a crash test dummy with this saber!

Awesome stuff.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Looks great Tom. I remember watching the smoothswing video 6 months ago and I must’ve been sleeping or something but I completely missed out on the teensy run. I saw your video a couple days ago and now I’m totally onboard with this. Thanks!

PS, I fixed the humstart on that font above. No delay now. This saber is pretty awesome. Its my 501st Legion Saber, and has not yet been seen in public. My Garrison is gonna poo.

Tom

Man, that's cool. Makes me feel like my new NBV4 is soooo far out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by SFXER001 View Post
    Man, that's cool. Makes me feel like my new NBV4 is soooo far out of date.
    I just built 2 NBIV sabers, and there is nothing wrong with the biscuit. Do you know how much stuff could go kaput on this setup? Its chincy new technology. Biscuit is definitely more solid.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    I just built 2 NBIV sabers, and there is nothing wrong with the biscuit. Do you know how much stuff could go kaput on this setup? Its chincy new technology. Biscuit is definitely more solid.

Tom
    The more biscuits i install, the more i understand why they are the "go to" sound card.

Some fun at today's troop with the Rainbow blade! 501st are a bunch of stiffs? We have fun at the CG! This saber is a party in an Aluminum handle!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by PCModulus View Post
    The more biscuits i install, the more i understand why they are the "go to" sound card.
    I'm split between doing my first neopixel with Prizm or NBIV..I'm very comfortable with the NB but I like the idea of having blaster/lockup effect with the Prizm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    I staggered the neopixels and aligned the strips similar to how Khal does it in his neopixel video.
    I'm curious, why stagger the strips with the connector your using? (I thought Khal staggers them because he is using a 4 pin and needs to connect the strips.)
    I've got almost everything for my first neopixel build and I appreciate the insight!

BTW, This build is amazing.. The "unstable" effect on the blade is very cool. I'm heading to disney parks in a month or so, going to pick up the disney parks version of this hilt if I can.

I stagger my pixels for more even illumination. Where there is a dead spot on one side there is a pixel on the other. I found that when diffusing, this seems to help, so I stagger them still. I also attach my strips and only run a single set of wires into the connector. Its just cleaner inside the base of the blade, and the process recently netted me shine through glass eye on a graflex neopixel build. That saber came out great, I can't wait to post some updated photos and video, this thing is sick.

Tom