Thread: The First Order

Default The First Order

No pun intended in the title

Anyway, I've been involved in PC modding & soldering guitar electronics for years. I've got a decent amount of woodworking skills but limited metal experience and even less space for equipment (although I have been using a dremel for forever). I placed my first big order friday night and the first install is going to be a "light side" pico crumble in a saber hilt for my daughter (double Cyan/white tri-rebel). She doesn't really need anything more than a pico crumble and it is a good, cheap board to start with. Despite years of soldering, the connections are much smaller here and the spaces are more confined. Also, you don't use resistors that often in guitar electronics (the only time you really use a power supply is a 9v battery when your using active pickups. I do have a massive collection of low watt resistors so I'm set for accent leds for eternity. After that I've got a more advanced starkiller based build planned. Looking forward to getting my feet wet. In my downtime I am designing what will be my first MHSV1 build (Been practicing with PVP). I don't want to bite off more than i can chew but I am always tempted after seeing other peoples amazing designs. I have to say, without TCSS's amazing videos I don't think I would have attempted this so I am grateful for that. Looking forward to sharing everything here and consulting with everyone.

-Devil

As long as you are prepared to take your time, I’m sure you’ll be fine, even it takes you more than one attempt to get it right.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I just finished my second saber which was a pico crumble bbw for my daughter as well. Worked out great!

If you are worried about the spaces involved for soldering definitely make sure you have 1) a set of helping hands with magnifier, 2) the right size solder, and 3) a small pointy tip for your soldering iron (sorry I don't know proper term for this). I have a lot less experience soldering then you and managed to solder up 2 sabers without destroying any of my electronics thus far.

Force Aware
    Blog Entries

I can't be the only one who read the title, then your post, and then said: "how is a light side and a starkiller build related to the First Order at all?"

Blog Entries

I used the Pico in a build a while back, and I really like it. I don't know if it's the hilt design or what, but that saber has the best sound out of all of my builds. You'll like it, I'm sure.

Welcome to the insane asylum

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."