Thread: Ferric chloride on mhs failure

Default Ferric chloride on mhs failure

I have an issue I’m hoping someone can help with... I’m using pnp and ferric on the mhs sleeve test piece and it’s not working. I’m sanding the surface and cleaning with alcohol, baking the transfer on, and recleaning with alcohol. Once it’s dipped in the ferric it gets etched on the inside of the tube but the outside is impervious tonit. It has a coating apparently...
    is it best to sandblast the mhs sleeve? How is it that people are etching normal mhs body pieces of it has this coating on it?

They put a coat on the sleeve material that has to be completely sanded off. It will take a few minutes. I do it by hand. You will notice when it starts to come off. There’s a thread about it somewhere around here. Once it’s completely off it should etch just fine.
    Last edited by Jediseth; 02-16-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Blog Entries

Jediseth is right. There is a coating on the sleeve material. It is more than a thin layer. I use a belt sander to remove it, and it still takes a few minutes to dig down the etch-able layer.

I wonder if the paint stripper would work on it.....I don’t wanna risk gouging it..

If you pull out some 60 or 80 grit and work up to 1500 you should have a nice piece no problems. I’m not sure about a belt sander though. Lol