Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Ode to the Derelict

Default My Ode to the Derelict

I just finished weathering my version of the Derelict based on Brad Lewis' design of Slothfurnace.com

MCD_9857.jpg
    MCD_9861.jpg

Next step, I'm going to start designing a crystal chassis reveal. I bought a Prizm5.1 for this build, but I'm thinking of waiting to see what features the new CF-LS will have when it's updated for neopixel.

Huge thanks to Tim for working with me on the design. The machining and overall quality is unmatched.

Great job on the saber and great job photographing the saber! What was your camera setup?

Quote Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
    Great job on the saber and great job photographing the saber! What was your camera setup?
    I normally do wedding photography, so thanks for the kind words about my photograph.

I used a Nikon D750 with a Tamron 24-70mm f/2.4 at 70mm f/4.0
    One flash with a soft box bouncing light off my white ceiling
    A second fill flash about 6ft behind the camera at table level using a white umbrella

Really nice looking! I really like that mysterious, little red wire you have running from below the pommel to the grip shroud screw. A fine little detail like that adds character. I also like that you chose to use the particular MHS pommel that you selected. The one thing I didn't admire about the Derelict was the pommel that it had. I think your selection suits it better. When I was kicking around the idea of making a derelict style saber, I also was looking at using that pommel.

I thought it looked professionally shot. Really admire it. Makes me want to go take better shots of my own sabers

Quote Originally Posted by SFXER001 View Post
    Really nice looking! I really like that mysterious, little red wire you have running from below the pommel to the grip shroud screw. A fine little detail like that adds character. I also like that you chose to use the particular MHS pommel that you selected. The one thing I didn't admire about the Derelict was the pommel that it had. I think your selection suits it better. When I was kicking around the idea of making a derelict style saber, I also was looking at using that pommel.
    Thanks! Yea, I love the derelict, but I've never been a fan of that pommel. I liked the idea, lore wise, of sticking to parts that Luke might have had on hand when making a new saber. So, I wanted the regular graflex top and not the one Brad used. Although, I admire his finished product very much. I also wanted to make the rear grip section a little longer.

I thought it looked professionally shot. Really admire it. Makes me want to go take better shots of my own sabers
    Thanks! It means a lot.

Do it!

Yea, too many people use their dang cell phone instead of a real camera. Also too many people dont care about the look of the pictures either, out of focus and using a flash when not needed etc etc etc.