Page 92 of 114 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like on buttered toast V4.x?

Actually, Gundamaniac deserves mad props just for being able to solder a K2. I tried everything from a hobby file to harsh language, and the pads on my K2's won't hold solder at all - it just balls up and rolls off like water on teflon. And that was a big honkin' flat iron to be using for such a compact PCB, so ya, awesome job.
    "In the battle with one's self, there can be no winner, for the victor and vanquished are one and the same"

-Me

I have to admit, I have never understood the whole problems with the K2 thing. I had to solder a good amount of them, and... no problems.

Also, I don't think it gave Brian any problems either.

Spectre... are you heating the K2's pad a bit and then trying to feed a little solder into it? If not, that is a good idea to try.

Finally, the only help I can give on soldering is the following:

* Tin both parts prior to connecting them wherever possible
    * Tin the IRON prior to connecting/soldering, etc.
    * Don't use a bonkload of solder--more is not equal to better
    * Clean the iron regularly--wipe it/quench it into a sponge... whatever you like, just clean old solder off
    * In order to tin parts--it's better to use the iron
    to HEAT THE PART and let the solder "decide" to flow toward the HEAT rather than trying to "paint" solder on, lol
    * It should not take more than a second or so (3 seconds MAX, if that) to complete a good solder joint
    * ALWAYS test your solders by pulling/tugging--fairly hard--on the part. If it fails... well, better now than later on when you're "showing off" to Chewbacca and Greedo or whatever, hahahah

P.S. EDIT: Oh, and yes--the iron sucked iron monkey balls. I wish I had better tips, but... if I've soldered most everything I have with that tip... ANYONE can do it with a really fine pointed "cone" tip.
    Last edited by Novastar; 08-05-2008 at 10:13 PM.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Actually, I liked your iron Novastar. I have a 15 dollar Weller with a conical tip that I use for soldering now, and your "big fat honky" screwdriver tip actually works just as well if not better (maybe because I keep forgetting to lay the cone tip flat against the surface I'm soldering, ie making contact with the side of the cone instead of just the pointy tip, and that's impossible to forget with your big flat screwdriver tip).

Spectre, do you use a battery-powered iron of any type? Those things really suck "iron monkey balls" to borrow Nova's phrase. I tried using a Coldheat on the K2 once upon a time, and yup, the solder tends to just ball up and roll right off like a water droplet on a lily pad. I even tried sanding down the pad, but when I so much as tried to tin it, the solder would just bead right off the pad. I haven't experienced that problem at all since I got a plug-in iron.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Using a Radio Shack plug-in iron with a high heat 15W setting and a lower heat 30W setting (I've never trusted battery operated tools of any stripe, and the idea of "cold" soldering... just ugh), heating the pads and feeding solder just resulted in a ball of solder rolling off, at either heat setting. It's a conical tip, and I always clean and pre-tin the tip. It was the perfect tool (on the 15W setting) for quickly and thoroughly pre-tinning the pads on my own CF, so it's not the solder or the iron, that leaves either the pads or the user...
    Last edited by SpectreT65; 08-06-2008 at 09:25 PM.
    "In the battle with one's self, there can be no winner, for the victor and vanquished are one and the same"

-Me

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Spectre, try adding a little flux to the K2 pads, then pre tinning them and the wires and the iron. It will be a snap. I used to have the same prob and almost threw my 1st k2 against the wall until I 'fluxed' it up! Cheers!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Default Important Updates...

...COMING SOON.

Stay tuned to hear from Erv himself...

A new batch of CF *WILL* be coming... only a matter of time and a little patience now.

As a matter of note, I will re-iterate that it has technically only been a little over 1 year since I even posted my video demonstrating the v1.2 (yes, version ONE POINT TWO) of CF in the Flange III hilt back in May 2007 (and the red v1.2 followed shortly thereafter)...

...and when I demonstrated v2.61 it was only October 2007!

So, at this point--we've basically seen four major versions of CF in a single year. And many have shown their videos as well, so it's not like I was the first or last or whatever... I'm just showing the general "timestamps"...

This means... for anyone thinking that "there are never any CF available"--au contraire! It just seems that way since when it comes to CF... people either lose track of time or patience... or BOTH!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

That is outstanding to hear!

I'm starting to save up funds for a CF now, so hopefully the timing will work out well between supply and available funds.
    Has Erv given any indication if the cost for the card or shipping will go up at all? I'm trying to save extra just in case, but a ballpark range would be useful in that regard.

Thanks Nova!
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

This is truly great news, September is just around the corner now. Guess who has two thumbs and a birthday in September.....THIS GUY!!!
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

You better not shout, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why, the last batch as we know sold out in less then 5 minutes so make sure you are on Ervs mailing list to be advised what time in France they will be up for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

5 minutes?
    Frack...
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.