Thread: '05 MR ESB Vader LED strip "Neopixel" build

Default '05 MR ESB Vader LED strip "Neopixel" build

Hi, I'm starting the Build on the Vader hilt and could use some advise and suggestions with a parts list and some build options.

What I have so far:

Complete '05 MR ESB Vader, taken apart. This was one of the early style that used the DIN plug. I've completely disassembled the saber and just put the core electronics (black plastic middle section) back together so it still works as a stand alone piece.

A 36" white diffused 1" thin walled blade from TCSS along with the white tip.

What I'd like to do:

I'd like to have a "Neopixel" saber with the Prizm 5.1 soundboard. From watching videos of the Prizm with the "Neopixels" I like all the features and sounds it uses.

This is the list of parts I "think" I need to start off with. Please let me know if anyone has any input.

TCSS FX Vader conversion kit
    TCSS Prizm sound module V5.1
    TCSS Prizm V5 Sound Module SD card
    TCSS Neopixel PCB
    TCSS Neopixel 1" thin walled blade adapter
    TCSS Neopixel Hilt side LED adapter (Can I use the screw in style with the Vader kit?)
    TCSS MHS speaker mount V6 for 28mm speaker ( It says it fits Nano but some one in review said it also fits Prizm?)
    TCSS 18650 Single Cell Holder
    TCSS TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Li-Ion Battery (2-pack)
    TCSS 2W 28mm Bass speaker

"Neopixel" LED 144M Strip (would an ebay option be okay and would this part# be okay?) I assume non waterproof is fine. WS2812B?

Prizm and Nbv4 both come with sd card so you don’t need an extra one. I don’t know if the Prizm fits the V6 I haven’t tried it. You need the 10a high drain 18650 for strip blades. Since they are wired you need a recharge port unless you can get a naked one elsewhere. You need a SPST tactile switch for under the bubble strip. I don’t think the screw neopixel adapter will work with the conversion kit but I could be wrong. You might have to drill a retention screw into the conversion socket for neopixel retention or glue it. You also need a 330-470 ohm resistor for the data line, .5w or whatever is fine. If you use the V6 you should put a chassis retention screw in as well, so you’ll need a 8/32, I think, retention screw.

Ebay strips. 144/m either sk6812 or ws2812b. RGB, weathering not needed.
    Last edited by Meatsweats; 02-11-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Meatsweats, thank you for the reply. Is this Panasonic okay?

Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 10A 3200mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery

Could you also suggest the proper recharge port along with the charger?

I'll see if I can get a message into TCSS to find out if the threaded holder with work with the Vader kit.

Are the Prizm boards ready to go the way they are after everything is soldered or do the SD cards require programming prior to use?

The store only has one 10a high drain 18650 so yes that’s it. Recharge port is the Switchcraft 2.1mm power jack. The V6 doesn’t have a place for a port and you don’t want to drill holes in the hilt so you basically have it coming off towards the blade side and wrap it with a lot of shrink wrap so it’s nearly rigid. The charger is the 3.7v charger they sell. Prizm board aren’t prewired.

Okay great Thank you.

So on the recharge port then, do I just need to buy a female JST connector to go to the battery and then the other end gets soldered to the board and the recharge port?

On the Prizm I don't think I was being clear with my question. From the description in the store it seems as though the board is pretty much ready to go after the customer solders everything up. To run the "Neopixel" strips and have all the features it comes with from the factory, do I need to remove the SD card and change any settings or is it "plug and play" as is?