Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Focusing Lens Question

what is the optics you are using? I was under the impression that fiber optics worked best with 3 degrees...
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

I actually removed th fiber optic cable. Ryma wanted to see what it looked like combined with a diffuser in a blade, so I temporarily put it in another blade I have. The optic I ground down to fit in the blade for this saber was a 10 degree. I have used both 5 and 10 in these 3/4" blades and there isn't a noticeable difference. I agree that a three deg. optic would probably be ideal for this type of set up. We'll see if i can get it better when the small optic from a Tri-lux Ace is sending me arrives.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Ryma Mara

Humm intresting

See 2nd above post, I edited it.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I'm going to be working on this some more this weekend. I have another optic to try out (Thanks Ace!).

Ryma Mara

Yeah try every option you have with you for that blade before you seal it off. Iam trying to get some 3/4" blade ideas.

No kidding! Hot glue is a pain to remove, but it is at least removeable.

Well, I did a little more work on this lens issue I have. I removed the 10 deg optic that was in the blade and replaced it with a 5 deg. But before I cut it to fit, though, I taped it to the end of the blade to make a comparison. Here is the 5 deg. lens (on the left) compared to the 10 deg (on the right):

The 5 deg. was a bit "greener" towards the tip, so I decided to go with the 5 deg. (I took these in my basement with the lights on, around 11:30-12:00 p.m.)

I took a couple more pics to compare it with my MHS saber which has a blue Lux III and 5 deg. optics as well. It looks about the same to me:

The blue one may be a bit brighter towards the tip, but that's because I don't have anything for a reflector in the green blade. I wanted to get the tip to light up, so I lightly sanded the bottom of it to diffuse the light and make it glow. It worked pretty well:

I also tried out the small optic that Ace sent me from the Tri-Lux, but the 5 deg. looked brighter to me. I remember taking some pictures of that, but I can't find them.