Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Focusing Lens Question

It made the blade weigh about a half a pound, I think. The cable is 14mm (1/2 inch) in diameter. If you put it in a 1" tube with a 3/4" i.d, then it would flop around inside the blade. Optics didn't help with lighting the cable, either. I found it worked better butting the end of the cable right up to the led's dome.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I did try sliding it in with the Corbin film inside the 3/4" blade and it didn't really make any difference, except to add the weight of the cable to it. Here's those night pics you wanted to see:
    On my living room floor:

And up against the living room wall:

I didn't change the batteries for these, I thought they may have recovered a bit of their charge over the last couple days enough to take a decent pic.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Ryma Mara

Wow I really like that.

You guys should be aware that as soon as you try grinding down the optics you ruin their efficiency. They work on the principle of total internal reflection (TIR). They dont quite acheive total, having a 85-95% efficiency normally.
    They are specially shaped so that the light bounches around inside the optic reflecting off the walls until the light comes to the 'open' end where its emmitted. As such even scratching the walls degrades its performance and grinding it most certainly does.
    Phil Higgins

Ryma Mara

Amuse me for just a moment jay. could you post a pic of what it looks like inside a diffused blade?

How ever neophyl that is one nice blade hes got there.

I know, and that was a concern, Phil, but I had to do something to get it working for saturday! Compare it next to my MHS Lux III powered saber with the 5 degree lens, and it's nearly as bright, even on half-dead batteries:

And Ryma:

Not much of an improvement. It still gets dim in the middle, and really bright at the ends.

Ryma Mara

Have you a mirror in the tip?

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

Quote Originally Posted by Ryma Mara
    Have you a mirror in the tip?
    Dude, you can so see the reflection of light at the end...

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

Ryma Mara

No thats what is called light bulbing.

A sign of no mirror. I just remembered that, I wander how that would look then if there was a reflective material of somesort.

There isn't any reflective material in the tip. That particular blade used to be an EL blade that I recently converted to led, and have been using it with my MHS saber. There's no way to use the blade with the optic I installed, as it is sealed with hot glue. However, when i was using the cable in the blade originally, I did have an acrylic mirroed disc in the tip that I am still using in the converted blade with the optic glued in.