Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Neopixel uneven colors

Quote Originally Posted by RarestSquirrel View Post
    Yeah, no such issue with a pair of skinny strips from adafruit.
    Well I was going to buy some eventually anyway so ...here we go

Quote Originally Posted by Squimboos View Post
    Well I was going to buy some eventually anyway so ...here we go
    Good luck!

Try no resistor on the data line or a 220.

I've been building sabers and commissioned props with pixels for 2 years and I never spent more than $20/m.

It's worth noting that the adafruit strips from the store are the same rando Chinese strips you can get from Aliexpress or eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by SA22C View Post
    It's worth noting that the adafruit strips from the store are the same rando Chinese strips you can get from Aliexpress or eBay.
    It even says so in their product description. Hopefully that added cost means there is better quality control, but I could but three strips even on Amazon for the price and if one is bad I'm still ahead of the game. I've purchased a lot of these strips and haven't had even one bad pixel, so it REALLY doesn't seem worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    It even says so in their product description. Hopefully that added cost means there is better quality control, but I could but three strips even on Amazon for the price and if one is bad I'm still ahead of the game. I've purchased a lot of these strips and haven't had even one bad pixel, so it REALLY doesn't seem worth it.

Well alright. So on the adafruit neopixel troubleshooting page it says that the power line has to be at most 1.43x the data line or at least .7x. I am using shorter strips here (currently 105 each strip). Is this why you suggested trying no resistor or a lower one? What IS the voltage of the data line on a prizm?

I've been building sabers and commissioned props with pixels for 2 years and I never spent more than $20/m.
    Perhaps we should start a list of known-to-not-be-crap strip sellers? Maybe I'll add it to that basics thread I'm working on.

I'm awaiting 3 meters from aliexpress. So, we'll see there. Hopefully we're good.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Squimboos View Post
    Well alright. So on the adafruit neopixel troubleshooting page it says that the power line has to be at most 1.43x the data line or at least .7x. I am using shorter strips here (currently 105 each strip). Is this why you suggested trying no resistor or a lower one? What IS the voltage of the data line on a prizm?
    I've been building pixel blades with Arduino boards for the past two years, at first one didn't is resistors at all. It sounds like you could be having signal integrity issues and it's easy and cheap to find out. Could be a cold joint or bad wire. I was breadboarding a project today and had similar issues until I just soldered it up instead.

I've been building pixel blades with Arduino boards for the past two years, at first one didn't is resistors at all. It sounds like you could be having signal integrity issues and it's easy and cheap to find out. Could be a cold joint or bad wire. I was breadboarding a project today and had similar issues until I just soldered it up instead.
    I think I found the issue actually. I think when I originally stripped the data wire, I might have pulled a couple of strands short. My son accidentally yanked it and bam.. 3 almost too small to see strands of wire were poking out near the solder joint. So yea. Bad tinning, bad solder joint. Bad all around. Gonna redo that and hopefully all will be fixed.