Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Neopixel uneven colors

Default Neopixel uneven colors

So I'm not sure here, but it seems the prizm manual could mention this on page 37. I'm just not sure about the wording. With a few colors, especially yellow, I'm pretty sure some of the LEDs are slightly off. It appears that one led is yellow, the next will be sorta green, then the next is yellow green, the next kind of orange yellow, and so on.

The way it's worded in the manual could suggest my timings are off or maybe I have the data line making a loop. I'm going to try some stuff but I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this before?

Got almost exactly the same thing on those 2 cheapo strips I bought. Resoldered everything, no fix.
    It'll hit red, blue and green perfectly - but combing them to get different colours is a bit messy.

I have a sneaky suspicion its the controllers on the derpy pixels themselves, or maybe something wonky in the software?

Probably the chips, combining RGB chips to make colors can produce some idiosyncrasies.

Quote Originally Posted by RarestSquirrel View Post
    Got almost exactly the same thing on those 2 cheapo strips I bought. Resoldered everything, no fix.
    It'll hit red, blue and green perfectly - but combing them to get different colours is a bit messy.

I have a sneaky suspicion its the controllers on the derpy pixels themselves, or maybe something wonky in the software?
    Hmm. So do you have other strips working fine?

You might also want to make sure your battery is fully charged, strange things can happen when the pixels are under-powered. That being said, it sounds more like a bad strip. I've personally only ever used cheap strips and never had a problem. While there are some name brands.. they are really just sourcing them from china and branding it and hopefully either providing or demanding a higher level of QC.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    You might also want to make sure your battery is fully charged, strange things can happen when the pixels are under-powered. That being said, it sounds more like a bad strip. I've personally only ever used cheap strips and never had a problem. While there are some name brands.. they are really just sourcing them from china and branding it and hopefully either providing or demanding a higher level of QC.
    Yea my battery was definitely fully charged. I didn't really notice it right off the bat. But then once the charm wore off a bit and I fully charged the battery, I started noticing on some colors. It's mostly on full two color schemes like complete green+red=yellow, or complete red+blue=purple. If I add some of the third color to lighten it, the colors become more accurate.

Oh and one other strange thing is during extension and retraction things get a little weird. This took me a long time to notice but take this example. If I use a complete magenta, the red will be mostly off at the end of retraction leaving the blue still going. So it's magenta at the top of the blade and right as the retraction is completing it's turned almost completely blue. It doesn't appear awful. In fact in it's own way it's kind of cool. But still, I'm wondering about it.

I still have to try some fixes, but I won't have time until later so my curiosity won't let me not ask you guys about it

Which battery are you using, and what size wiring? The blue/magenta thing does sound more like low current. Normally with RGB we'd expect things to shift toward red, but the way these things work that isn't always the case. It can also be a fidelity issue with the signal line. I've seen a lot of weird things with pixel blades and prop building over the past couple years, but nothing that exactly matches this.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    Which battery are you using, and what size wiring? The blue/magenta thing does sound more like low current. Normally with RGB we'd expect things to shift toward red, but the way these things work that isn't always the case. It can also be a fidelity issue with the signal line. I've seen a lot of weird things with pixel blades and prop building over the past couple years, but nothing that exactly matches this.
    I'm using the 3200 mah 10 amp from tcss. The smallest wiring I'm using is 24 gauge (20 down the line and to the battery) which is attached to the strips and board.

I'm using a 470 ohm resistor and it's a straight shot to the board as I'm still working on the chassis. So I'm not using the tcss neopixel connector yet. Is it possible I have a less than sufficient bridge on the smd pad before the LS pad? Also I'm not using the capacitor but I hadn't suspected that was the issue based on the problems described in the manual.

Thanks for reading all this stuff. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Squimboos View Post
    Hmm. So do you have other strips working fine?
    Yeah, no such issue with a pair of skinny strips from adafruit.