Thread: Hello from NY

Default Hello from NY

Hello all. New to the saber scene and looking to do a build on my '05 MR Vader. I've been trying to research the best way to going about a Neopixel build. Having a little trouble locating a good place to buy the actual Neopixel strips. I've been watching the crap out of Youtube videos on how to go about some of the build process but not much info on where to get the actual parts.

I'd like to do a somewhat basic build (nothing too fancy) but I'd like at least a nice deep red for Vader along with a somewhat accurate speed scroll effect. As far as sound, would just like it to at least sound like Vaders. I was thinking about the NBV4 from TCSS. I like the example sound fonts like the Dark meat that it says is already on the sound card.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

As far as where I am in the saber hobby, I just have 3 sabers.

Black series Training Rey that I have converted to a removable factory string blade using Ethernet connections.

'05 MR ESB Vader that I converted to removable blade by removing the 2 retaining pins so that it could be plugged and unplugged by the factory DIN plug.

'05 MR ESB Vader that also has the factory DIN style plug but I've only removed the complete chassis on this for now as this is the one I'd like to do the Neopixel build on but I'd like to just build the whole inside complete chassis and not have to use any of the factory parts if possible.

So I do have experience with soldering and putting things together so that part shouldn't be too difficult for me to tackle.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Andy

Well, “Neopixel” is the proprietary name for Adafruit’s version of an LED strip (with imbedded drivers for each led).
    Google works well to find that company.

They sell them (but it isn’t cheap).

You can find similar products (some overseas versions) for cheaper, but it is important to know how you are going to drive the strips, and to make sure the specs on the strip you buy are comparable.

Okay great. Thank you for the reply. So I searched and found the company you referred to and I see what your saying about the price. So then I searched the overseas versions you referred to and found those as well at what seems like very reasonable pricing. I'm just a bit concerned if I'm getting the correct part #?

WS2812B Is what seems to be the common # It does state they are the 144 per meter non waterproof white PCB's. I'm I on the right track with these?

Would you have any suggestions for a good soundboard to use? I would like if possible to use the original bubble strip on/off latching switch, but really don't want to add any additional switches if I don't have to. Not sure if a second or even third switch would be a must have if I needed to change between modes or color changes, ect.

The nano biscotte and prizm cards sold in the store support neopixel strips. However, to me knowledge both will need you to connect new momentary switches. This is not a big deal, but it's something you should be prepared for.

Ok so it seems as though the Prizm does support latching but the Nano doesn't. But for minimal it looks like I would at least need 2 switches? One for activation and another to do things like color changes?

I'm thinking about trying to add 2 of the small tactile switches (one under each end of the bubble strip) but my searches here didn't help me find any tutorials on that. Does anyone have some good instructions on how they have done this?

Should I start a thread in a different section?

If you are going to get into building a saber and have questions regarding that then yes I would start a new thread elsewhere. That said tactile switches are held in place using a ring. You can see a video to better visualize this process here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65aQuFKLFMU

Google and youtube searches will turn up lots of people who have done tactile switch installations before.