Thread: Cape Fear Stormtrooper TENT POLE Lightsaber

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cape Fear Stormtrooper TENT POLE Lightsaber

First and foremost: This build is for friend, fellow 501st Legion member: Robert Lentz. He has been an inspiration to me. Robert, even prior to joining the 501st Legion would appear all over Wilmington, for free. He never wanted any money, he was just spreading the joy of Star Wars, because he enjoyed it. Watching Robert, AKA Cape Fear Stormtrooper go all about town, and dress up at all these charity functions inspired me to build a costume and join the 501st Legion. My Kylo Ren was approved the same week as Robert's TK was finally accepted into the Legion. He found out I built sabers and brought me this "tent pole" that he'd been carrying around for years thinking it would make a great lightsaber hilt someday. To thank him for his inspirational work, I set out to bring his vision to fruition! This is a budget build, neither Robert nor I have tons of money.
    Robert, Cape Fear Stormtrooper and I in September 2011, long before I joined the 501st Legion. I'm busy enough with bagpiping!

Build Materials:
    Cape Fear Stormtrooper: Tent Pole (aluminum grooved)

TCSS: MHS Shroud Material
    Switch Box 10
    16 MM Cog Red Momentary Switch
    Aluminum Saber Clip
    MHS V6 Speaker Holder/26650 Battery holder
    MHS Pommel 7 (insert 6, and clip)
    1" LED Module/Heat Sink
    NBIV with pex

My supplies:
    Common anode RGB accent LED, going up through switch box 10 behind switch, will be parallel to the blade, + resistors appropriate for full pad voltage.
    NeCree RGB LED Star
    18650 Battery
    Wire
    Solder
    Various Hex head screws/set screws 8-32
    8-32 bit and tap
    5mm bit for RGB LED Hole
    Stepped bit for switch hole
    1" ID Aluminum tube for blade holder/LED Module holder. Fits tightly inside the "tent pole".
    T8 Tubing to protect electronics in the MHS V6 Holder.

The "tent pole", notice the ridged surface:

Inside Diameter:

Using the MHS V6 Speaker Holder. It doesn't fit all the way into the tent pole, but my plan is to sandwich it in via a pommel set screwed into a piece of MHS shroud. MHS Shroud fits around the "tent pole" perfectly.

The bottom end with the pommel set into MHS Shroud with a Saber clip added:

Top Shroud:

Switch holder, which is box 10. Initially I was just drilling a hole for a 12mm AV switch with a stepped bit I normally use. I went one step too far, and had to switch out to a 16mm AV switch, and ordered the box just in case I needed to cover the hole. I'd never used one of these switch boxes before, so its a learning thing to pop it on.

Pommel end, with brass insert to add contrast:

Set screw in top emitter:

So, the machining is mostly done. Brass blade retention thumb screw is set in. The LED and Module are installed, the switch and RGB LED are installed in the switch box. I'm waiting for the E6000 to dry on the soundboard and LED before I finish assembly of the V6 holder in the saber. Basically its done. I do plan on painting the upper shroud black, but leaving the bottom shroud and pommel polished aluminum. There will be a color gradient. Pommel shiny, hilt dull gray with brass switch box and cog switch, shroud black. Even though this was a LOW budget build, and I'm doing it all as a tribute to my inspirational Garrison mate, it is really coming out nice. I think Robert's gonna poo when he sees the saber. It is going to be awesome. Tent pole lightsaber...oilah.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Tilmon; 02-01-2018 at 10:29 AM.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."