Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First-Timer looking for a design proofread

That's what I'd recommend.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Follow up:

I went with this wiring scheme in the end.
    Conclusion.jpg

I successfully got the primary LED, Switch LED, Switch, and speaker functioning as intended.

On one level, I am happy I was able to complete the build, but unsatisfied that everything didn't work as intended. Therefore, I am already looking into going back in and tweak the guts, if not rebuild them entirely.

The Accent LED did not work despite being wired the same as the other LEDs that did. Would anyone be able to provide insight as to why that may not have been the case?

On top of that, the Bass speaker seemed quieter than I expected, but also flatter. Has anyone used the Bass and Premium speaker? How were they different, and which did you prefer?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jono87; 02-23-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Did you attach the Dynaohm resistor the right way on the accent LED?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Did you attach the Dynaohm resistor the right way on the accent LED?
    + Power NB ----- Recharge/Batt splice ----- In End of DynaOhm - Out End of Dyna Ohm ----- Accent LED

The question I have is if the two prongs of the LED are interchangeable (as I recall having been led to believe) or if there is a dedicated + prong and a grounding one.

The polarity of the LED matters. They should be marked as + and -
    The polarity of the switch is 'interchangeable'

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Well, I guess I need to go back and check again. Hopefully the LED didn't get blown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono87 View Post
    Well, I guess I need to go back and check again. Hopefully the LED didn't get blown.
    It wont.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono87 View Post
    On top of that, the Bass speaker seemed quieter than I expected, but also flatter. Has anyone used the Bass and Premium speaker? How were they different, and which did you prefer?
    Are you doing a bench test mock up, outside the body of the saber? Or possibly with the speaker not in a speaker mount?

I noticed when I did my mock up, a completely exposed speaker doesn’t have the “loudness” of a mounted speaker in a hilt with a resonant chamber (space between the speaker and end of the pommel).

Also, there is a volume setting in the configuration file of the NB. I don’t believe (at least in the prior versions I’ve used) that it is set to max by default.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post
    Are you doing a bench test mock up, outside the body of the saber? Or possibly with the speaker not in a speaker mount?
    No, sir. That was my impression with the speaker wired, housed, chassised and in the hilt. I even put in putty per Madcow's recommendation to minimize any adverse vibration.

I'll definitely check out the sound settings

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    IMG_20180224_090537~2.jpg

So these were all the markings I could find.

At first I thought the mark on the bottom might be a + but upon further review it looks more like a 4, most likely to compliment the LX up top.

Besides that though, I couldn't find anything else. Maybe inside the housing?
    Last edited by Jono87; 02-24-2018 at 10:21 AM.