Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trying to make CC cover

Board Lurker

Default Trying to make CC cover

Hey everyone,

I’m moving along in my build and am ready to create the crystal chamber “reveal” section. I’m basically cutting a window into a section of the hilt so you can see the crystal chamber. However, I want some sort of mechanism so that I can close or cover up the window for dueling. I’ve seen people create hinged doors, but that leaves the door hanging off, so you can’t duel with it open. Others create a collar with an opening that they put around the section and rotate the collar to reveal or cover up the chamber. Great idea, but it won’t work for me since I’ll have an activation box in the way I can’t rotate anything around it.

Does anyone know of a good solution? Perhaps like a sliding door mechanism? How can it be built? I’ve been googling forever on clasping, hinge, hasp mechanisms to no avail...

Thanks so much!
    MTFBWY

While i would think this would weaken the structure for dueling, you could simply use magnets to secure it and put it in your pocket when you want to reveal.

Blog Entries

E13785B5-9743-48FF-A2D2-95FBA094BAA7.jpg

Sleeve/cover slides or rotated for reveal. Originally secured with reverse set screw. Then modified with cap screw for dueling. Nothing fancy but works great.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

Blog Entries

Doh. I missed the activation box part. But I think this could still work. Got a rough sketch or mock up to look at?

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    E13785B5-9743-48FF-A2D2-95FBA094BAA7.jpg

Sleeve/cover slides or rotated for reveal. Originally secured with reverse set screw. Then modified with cap screw for dueling. Nothing fancy but works great.
    Yeah, I’ve done hilts with methods similar to what DC has described in the past.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Board Lurker

Doh. I missed the activation box part. But I think this could still work. Got a rough sketch or mock up to look at?
    Hey Darth Chasm,

Thanks for the help. Here is all I have on me right now. I can try to gather sketches later if necessary.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xoOVG
    F7C199EA-0CB7-4657-9D42-7D07E667C478.jpg
    Last edited by Raktus; 01-30-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Hey Raktus.
    The sliding switch cover I made moves on the outside of the hilt, secured between two layers of shroud material. The lower piece has a channel cut out for the cover plate to slide back and forth, the upper piece holds it in place. It's simple enough but it requires layers which may not suit your design with an activation box in proximity. If you are willing/ready to show or explain your design it may help with the brainstorming.

Blog Entries

BD999BB5-8C2C-4E65-A80F-7F5B89E222EC.jpg

Almost graflex-like. Done right you may be able to make the sleeve and box look like one unit.

The potential problem I see is spacing with switch and crystal.

Also with a sliding sleeve like this you risk marring the hilt. I solved that with anodizing.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 01-30-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Board Lurker

BD999BB5-8C2C-4E65-A80F-7F5B89E222EC.jpg

Almost graflex-like. Done right you may be able to make the sleeve and box look like one unit.

The potential problem I see is spacing with switch and crystal.

Also with a sliding sleeve like this you risk marring the hilt. I solved that with anodizing.
    Thanks Darth Chasm and Greenie,

I was thinking it was done something like that Greenje, but I’m not sure how to create a recessed area inside the shroud material to seat the sliding tab.

Darth Chasm, that is definitely an idea I’ve been floating in my head. Simple, but effective. I’ll sketch out something in mind and upload it here in a bit.

Board Lurker

Here are some quick rough sketches:

02742AA5-584B-48E2-B20E-152D1BE4FCF4.jpg
    93AC1C3A-F588-4C67-9FC8-DABE4D5128BC.jpg

Harp implemented one of the ideas here:
    https://youtu.be/-pf-2B-1bDk