Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prizm 5.1 Neopixel power question

Quote Originally Posted by Meatsweats View Post
    when I first got the Intelliblade I first tried the TCSS connector and it was acting odd, like restarting and such. I didn’t have the same problem with the g16. I’ve been having all sorts of problems with the Intelliblade as we’ve talked about, so I’m not sure what is at fault. I’m waiting on some generic strips for a tri strip blade at which point I’ll try the TCSS connector again.
    Do you mind if I ask what strips you're planning on using? I've been looking at adafruits 144 LED strip in regular and thin versions, but found other 144 strips at a lower price from other brands.

I’ve used the adafruit skinny 144/m rgb white pcb and they work very well. They are pretty expensive though. I’m still waiting on some generics from China via ebay, they are the 144/m sk6812 5050s.

I’ve used the adafruit skinny 144/m rgb white pcb and they work very well. They are pretty expensive though. I’m still waiting on some generics from China via ebay, they are the 144/m sk6812 5050s.
    Ah ok, I have also looked at those same ones. I would like to do 3 of the adafruit skinny's, but like you said they do have a bit of a price tag on them... I'm planning on doing two neopixel set up's actually, a graflex 2.0 and a Korbanth LS6 gullwing when it arrives (hopefully soon...)
    I may try and get some of the sk6812's in the meantime and do a 2 strip set up for the graflex and see what I can learn from that. Are the regular width strips an easy enough size to work with in a 1" blade, packing diffusing material and the strips inside? It looks like they come pre-wired as well, can these wires be merged, or does each strip have to be wired into the others solder pads, if that makes sense?
    Sorry if I'm hounding you with questions, like I mentioned this is a new sort of approach for me...

I would start with a dual strip to be honest. They are plenty bright. I’m just trying a three strip for fun. Three strips present more problems like needing a higher capacity battery and thicker wire. Run time is less as well with the 18650s. Lots of people have gotten generic strips and they have worked well, so I don’t really think the Adafruits are necessary. They do come prewired but, I cut it off and start clean. Each strip will need 3 wires from it going to a connector of some sort (g16, TCSS). On the blade side you’ll have 3 wires from the connector to the board. My preferred diffusion technique is a 1in thin clear tube, TCSS blade diffuser, a couple revolutions of cellophane for bulk, and a closed cell diffusion tube like TCSS or a Hasbro. The strips go back to back with double sided tape. There’s other ways to do it too. Make sure you get some good 22-24ga ptfe wire that can handle the current.

I would start with a dual strip to be honest. They are plenty bright. I’m just trying a three strip for fun. Three strips present more problems like needing a higher capacity battery and thicker wire. Run time is less as well with the 18650s. Lots of people have gotten generic strips and they have worked well, so I don’t really think the Adafruits are necessary. They do come prewired but, I cut it off and start clean. Each strip will need 3 wires from it going to a connector of some sort (g16, TCSS). On the blade side you’ll have 3 wires from the connector to the board. My preferred diffusion technique is a 1in thin clear tube, TCSS blade diffuser, a couple revolutions of cellophane for bulk, and a closed cell diffusion tube like TCSS or a Hasbro. The strips go back to back with double sided tape. There’s other ways to do it too. Make sure you get some good 22-24ga ptfe wire that can handle the current.
    Seems like the best option right now, going with 2 strips. I've got all the parts coming my way now, so I'll be giving it all a shot assembling it soon, I'll have to post some results when I get it all figured out

Well I've got it wired up using a 26650 Orbtronic 5200mAh battery, Prizm 5.1, but I've run into a problem with the LED strips that I cant figure out, that I'm thinking is either a problem with the data line itself, or something in the configs.
    When it ignites, it lights up, but only about the first... lets say, 25 LED's or so. When I switch profiles using the aux switch and main switch, it changes colors like it should and lights up all the rest of the strands, just like it should. When I deactivate it, the first 25 turn off and the rest stay on. This is very odd to me, has anyone else run into a problem like this before? I've been going over the manual but cant seem to pin it down....

Edit:
    Also, using the aux switch while the board is activated will play a blaster sound, but following that the board will immediately reset. FoC works, and using the aux switch works to rotate through profiles.... anyone know what could cause this?
    Last edited by cjsiege88; 02-13-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsiege88 View Post
    Well I've got it wired up using a 26650 Orbtronic 5200mAh battery, Prizm 5.1, but I've run into a problem with the LED strips that I cant figure out, that I'm thinking is either a problem with the data line itself, or something in the configs.
    When it ignites, it lights up, but only about the first... lets say, 25 LED's or so. When I switch profiles using the aux switch and main switch, it changes colors like it should and lights up all the rest of the strands, just like it should. When I deactivate it, the first 25 turn off and the rest stay on. This is very odd to me, has anyone else run into a problem like this before? I've been going over the manual but cant seem to pin it down....

Edit:
    Also, using the aux switch while the board is activated will play a blaster sound, but following that the board will immediately reset. FoC works, and using the aux switch works to rotate through profiles.... anyone know what could cause this?

Check the pads on the LED's themselves around where it stops doing what he should be doing. I had one lift off and cause the rest of the strip after it to bork out and stay on without it actually being switched on. You can just resolder the borked pads back down, but carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by RarestSquirrel View Post
    Check the pads on the LED's themselves around where it stops doing what he should be doing. I had one lift off and cause the rest of the strip after it to bork out and stay on without it actually being switched on. You can just resolder the borked pads back down, but carefully.
    I checked them, they seem to be all ok. I actually had the exact same problem with a set of RGBW strips that I replaced with RGB strips because I guess the Prizm 5.1 wasnt designed to work with RGBW. They would still ignite, but only a fraction of the way up. Well, attaching the RGB strips today and the same problem happened.

This is its state at ignition.
    ignition.jpg

After changing color profile, a full lit blade
    profilechange.jpg

And this at deactivation.
    Deactivation.jpg

Edit:
    It seems to be stopping at pixel #32 on both strips, I have them back to back on each other right now, and they both stop lighting up in the same spot.
    Last edited by cjsiege88; 02-13-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Well I seem to have narrowed down the issue, I set the ledstrip= value to a much higher one than I had it at... 1160. Which seems like way more pixels than my two 144 LED strips actually have, but I'm new to this type of blade and if it works, it works lol...

I've been thinking about using a 26650 in my latest build but am concerned about the size issue. How did you cram it in there? Are you using MHS hilt parts or something larger?