Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Prizm 5.1 Neopixel power question

26650 will fit inside MHS Hilts; however there is no room for a board over the battery. There are no chassis disks for it, so if you went 26650 via MHS, you're going to have to be very creative with the engineering to keep it solid, safe, and enduring. I bought some 26650 holders (although they are very tight for protected circuit batteries). I did adapt them to a Hasbro Kylo Ren Chassis, and I believe I could probably adapt them to a MHS Disk Chassis, but it would be difficult. You would definitely have to plan the chassis carefully. There are other batteries out there between the 26650 and 18650. 18650s can run a single bladed saber for a decent amount of time. I have a neopixel saber that runs 18650s, and I get about 45 minutes out of it. If that isn't enough for your application, you could always plan for changeable battery system.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Is it okay to use high drain unprotected batteries? I have a bunch of 26650's I use for my vape but they are all high drain lithium.

I wouldn’t use unprotected cells. Today, a cheap one blew up on someone in one of the FB groups.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Ok, good to know!

Any recommendations for 18650 and 26650 batteries for neopixel builds? I'm looking at orbtronics right now.

Unprotected lithium ion cells in sealed metal pipe=pipe bomb.

You can't get battery brand recommendations from other sites, as this site is attached to a store. That being said, your most recent post seems to be well advised.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Unprotected cell on workbench + 3D printed chassis + soldering iron = loud boom + soiled underwear. Fortunately the guy in questions wasn’t otherwise hurt.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

It is way too easy to think of ways the battery can end up shorted in even the most carefully constructed hilt. Electronics fail, even good ones, given enough time or over large sample sizes. The cost difference between a cheap battery and the best batteries is insignificant to your total construction cost. It's worth the cost of a sandwich to not have a fire/explosion hazard.

OK, so without mentioning the cell brand names, I am using the the keystone 18650 holder inside a 3d printed chassis designed to hold it and I'm going to wire it up to a nano biscotte v4.

The cell I am looking at is a "3500mAh Protected 18650 Battery Li-ion 3.7V Rechargeable 10A Dual Protection", but it has a button top. Is this what I should be looking for?

I really appreciate the help guys. I have tons of batteries, but they are all made for vaping so I am trying to do my due diligence before I start wiring anything up....the last thing I want is to worry about accidentally creating a pipe bomb.