Thread: Chassis Part Compatability with MHSv2

Default Chassis Part Compatability with MHSv2

Hey guys, brand new to saber building and planning to build my very first saber. I came to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to have to give up on some of my illusions of grandeur for my first build and make a few sacrifices. For example I'm not going to be able to have a crystal chamber and the hilt might be a little longer than I hopped. I just kinda need to build something solid to prove to myself and my wife its something I'm going to stick with before pouring a TON of money into all the bells and whistles I want. Especially considering I've always been more of a computer guy than an electronics guy and haven't touched a soldering iron in my life.

That being said, I've found my journey into lightsaber building to be very much like when I was building my first computer. There's tons of info out there on how to do it, but pretty much any thorough explanations of how things work end up being SUPER outdated. For example many of the "tutorials" and stuff on this forum are like 10 years old and talking about parts you can't even get anymore. I guess it's because at some point someone poured their heart and soul into a super helpful and thorough tutorial only to have it become outdated in a year or two and stopped bothering with it. Can't blame anyone for that. I suppose I'd get frustrated too.

My question is in regards to the building of a chassis. I want to use the new MHSv2 hilt parts, but the chassis options for them are super limited based on what I see on the site. For the MHSv1 parts there's all sorts of cool chassis parts, inserts, adapters, anodized spacers, and metal disks that lock the chassis into the handle. I guess I'm trying to figure out what, if any of these chassis options work with the MHSv2 parts? I don't see the locking metal disks listed for MHSv2, but if you can't lock the chassis into the hilt, what's the point of building a chassis at all? The product page for the metal disks also say something about most threads being 0.4 now and the disks only being compatible with 0.5 threads or something... How can I possibly know what the threads measure on the parts I want to use, and if they aren't 0.5, what other options do I have for my chassis? I'm finding that as a newcomer, many of the product descriptions for these items assume a level of understanding I simply don't possess and have been unable to find readily available. Like the information provided is probably exactly what someone who knows what they are doing needs to know about the part. However, to a total noob like myself, it only seems to intimidate me into thinking that maybe I'm in over my head...Can anyone help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Mhs2 has a 1" inner diameter which is pretty small. If it doesn't have a 1" diameter it's not for mhs2. A chassis is so you can wire everything up and then slide it into the hilt as one piece. A significant part of building your own saber is getting everything to fit. A chassis makes this easier. 1" is seriously tight thus you may want to use the discs available. In addition to what the store sells, folks will also use 3d printed parts for chassis.

When I first discovered this hobby I assumed that I wanted to build using mhs2 because it must be better... Since it's got a "2" next to it. That turned out to be untrue. The difference between mhs1 and 2 is the size. Mhs1 has an inner diameter of 1.25 and that 1/4" makes a world of difference. As a first time builder you may wish to reconsider and make a mhs1 hilt. It will be significantly easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
    Mhs2 has a 1" inner diameter which is pretty small. If it doesn't have a 1" diameter it's not for mhs2. A chassis is so you can wire everything up and then slide it into the hilt as one piece. A significant part of building your own saber is getting everything to fit. A chassis makes this easier. 1" is seriously tight thus you may want to use the discs available. In addition to what the store sells, folks will also use 3d printed parts for chassis.

When I first discovered this hobby I assumed that I wanted to build using mhs2 because it must be better... Since it's got a "2" next to it. That turned out to be untrue. The difference between mhs1 and 2 is the size. Mhs1 has an inner diameter of 1.25 and that 1/4" makes a world of difference. As a first time builder you may wish to reconsider and make a mhs1 hilt. It will be significantly easier for you.
    Excellent. Since posting, I had come to a similar conclusion and I'm grateful to have had my suspicions confirmed by someone who has actual experience. My thoughts were the same as yours to be honest. MHSv2 is thinner and "newer" so it must be better. However, after thinking more about it, I realized that the "better" option would be the one with the most options and compatible parts, thus the MHSv1.

That sort of brings me to my next question...With the current version of the MHS builder, which parts are the ones it uses? Does it use the MHSv2 parts or the MHSv1 parts? I've seen mention on the forums a year or two ago of people requesting that the builder be "updated" with the new parts...Is it MHSv1, MHSv2, or a combination of both?

Thanks for your answer by the way, I really appreciate the help!

My understanding is that the builder was a fan project. It has only mhs1 parts and to my knowledge has not been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
    My understanding is that the builder was a fan project. It has only mhs1 parts and to my knowledge has not been updated.
    Excellent. That means that the designing I do within it will be using the relevant MHSv1 parts. Think that answers pretty much all my questions relevant to this thread. Thanks again!

Some of the newer MHS v1 parts are not available in the builder, for example the OWKTPM pommel.

One thing i saw on a custom build was they used a 1" thick walled blade section for the chassis. Should open up some options for you if you go v2.