Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New - and wanting some advice for making my own hilts!

Default New - and wanting some advice for making my own hilts!

Hey guys

Brand new to this line of hobby, but in my dayjob i do alot of prototype design in 3d.

I have a small workshop, but ive always been wanting a metal lathe, and get started in that area.

Can anyone here perhaps help me answer the following question:

What is the smallest type of metal lathe, i could get away with buying, where i could ( if skills are good enough ) get away with making my own custom hilts from a-z?

Ive been seeing alot of lathes, but since im so new to it, i dont know if theres a minimum requirement that has to be fullfilled, or say if not all metal lathes can do aluminium ( or if thats easier than steel ? ) - what about lenght of material etc.

Also, and im assuming they all can do this, being able to make screw threads is a must; is this a super hard skill to master, or something thats trivial to do on any lathe?

Any advice would be very much appreciated

You certainly want to jump into the deep end! I don't own a metal lathe but do own a wood lathe. From that experience and having looked into metal lathes before I will say that the limiting factor for you will be bed length. The longer the bed the longer a hilt you can turn in one piece. Most hilts are under 12" so I think you can get away with a 12" lathe. That said, ignoring tooling and buying the cheapest possible lathe you are still looking at an initial investment of 400-600$ in just the lathe. Than you will need tools plus stock which will likely run you at least as much again. That just gets you a lathe. If you only want to make grooves that go all the around in round stock then that is all you need. If however you want to make slats or holes or vents etc, then you will also need a mill. Which will likely run you a similar cost as the lathe. Call it 2k buying the cheapest stuff around before you have the bare minimum tooling to make a custom hilt. This is been what has kept me from doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
    You certainly want to jump into the deep end! I don't own a metal lathe but do own a wood lathe. From that experience and having looked into metal lathes before I will say that the limiting factor for you will be bed length. The longer the bed the longer a hilt you can turn in one piece. Most hilts are under 12" so I think you can get away with a 12" lathe. That said, ignoring tooling and buying the cheapest possible lathe you are still looking at an initial investment of 400-600$ in just the lathe. Than you will need tools plus stock which will likely run you at least as much again. That just gets you a lathe. If you only want to make grooves that go all the around in round stock then that is all you need. If however you want to make slats or holes or vents etc, then you will also need a mill. Which will likely run you a similar cost as the lathe. Call it 2k buying the cheapest stuff around before you have the bare minimum tooling to make a custom hilt. This is been what has kept me from doing the same thing.
    Hey

Thanks for the reply. I certainly see your point, but the way im looking at it, it might not be a bad investment, since i will be doing this ( and other stuff ) for a long...loong time.

However, i have found some pretty cheap things here; I can get a lathe with a mill for around 1000 usd - its alot of money, but then id be set.

My main concern, is not whether or not ill figure it out, but more of the "will i figure the essentials out, or just figure out that those are too extreme to do".

Like for instance, cutting the threads so you can make parts screw together. Ive watched some videos, and it seems to be fairly easy - any experience with that portion?

The way i see it, i dont need a very long lathe either, - i would never make a one piece hilt, id want to make it out of say 3-5 pieces, each of which can be screwed together; easier to build on, and probably also easier to get a final result you like, seeing as if you mess one part up, you can do that part again.

1k for lathe and mill is actually in line with my previous advice. Remember you actually can't do anything with just a lathe or a mill or both together. You need the tooling to hold parts, and the cutting edges to create the effect you are looking for. The lathe is going to require at least one chuck, plus centers etc. The mill will require bits. The lathe will also require chisels. (Read more then one)

These things add up. I think you will find that you will need at least another 1k in tooling ontop of the cost of the lathe. Believe me I am not trying to discourage you. I have had the same idea and one day plan to do exactly what you are planning to do right now. I just want to set your expectations appropriately. As far as screwing parts of the hilt together. Well on that end I do have some experience. I am sure this can be done with a lathe, but I have always done it with a tap and die by hand. So long as your parts are the right size for the given tap and die then its real easy to do. Cheapy taps and dies can be had for under 100 dollars for the pair. Nicer ones more suited for actual professional use will run you 5 times that easy.

As for how to do things. Well if I were you I would search on youtube basics of metal lathe etc. You will find a lot of videos, some helpful, some not. Start watching. I think you will see what you need and don't need within a few hours.

1k for lathe and mill is actually in line with my previous advice. Remember you actually can't do anything with just a lathe or a mill or both together. You need the tooling to hold parts, and the cutting edges to create the effect you are looking for. The lathe is going to require at least one chuck, plus centers etc. The mill will require bits. The lathe will also require chisels. (Read more then one)

These things add up. I think you will find that you will need at least another 1k in tooling ontop of the cost of the lathe. Believe me I am not trying to discourage you. I have had the same idea and one day plan to do exactly what you are planning to do right now. I just want to set your expectations appropriately. As far as screwing parts of the hilt together. Well on that end I do have some experience. I am sure this can be done with a lathe, but I have always done it with a tap and die by hand. So long as your parts are the right size for the given tap and die then its real easy to do. Cheapy taps and dies can be had for under 100 dollars for the pair. Nicer ones more suited for actual professional use will run you 5 times that easy.

As for how to do things. Well if I were you I would search on youtube basics of metal lathe etc. You will find a lot of videos, some helpful, some not. Start watching. I think you will see what you need and don't need within a few hours.

Yeah youre right - i didnt factor in tooling costs. I kinda figured youd get enough to start with.

Im looking at something like this: https://www.globaltools.dk/image/cac...er-600x600.jpg - from the description (on the site i looked at) it seemed like the basic tools were already included.

A tap and die - for metal? Can you show me some links to the method? id be very interested in seeing this. All the taps etc i saw was for making small holes with threadings, not for threading say the inside of a pipe to the outside of another?

Blog Entries

I would suggest doing a lot of research and possibly taking a class at a local maker space or something. You'll find there is much to learn and that assumptions you may have now, will prove misguided.

I would suggest subscribing to and watching mrpete222 on Youtube. I watched him for 2 years before buying my machines and tooling (which cost just as much as the machines).
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I would suggest doing a lot of research and possibly taking a class at a local maker space or something. You'll find there is much to learn and that assumptions you may have now, will prove misguided.

I would suggest subscribing to and watching mrpete222 on Youtube. I watched him for 2 years before buying my machines and tooling (which cost just as much as the machines).
    I can build a country in 2 years. Sorry, i cant work that way. Ill have a good look at his channels, and then tomorrow im going to call the shop that sells the machine and ask them and see what they say; youre probably right, it will take longer, be harder, and cost more. But what a great way to begin on something i always wanted to do i suppose

Using a tap and die on something the size of a lightsaber is identical to using one on a 1/4" hole or rod. Just requires more force, not like super human force either. Though the wrench you use has longer handles to provide more leverage.

The mill will require bits. The lathe will also require chisels. (Read more then one)
    Bits, meaning drill bits? How about end mills? What metal lathe requires chisels?

I have tons of bits, i have a CNC machine in my shop, so im not worried about that. The lathe comes with some chisels - so i might need more, but i should be covered to begin with from what i can tell.