Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New - and wanting some advice for making my own hilts!

Blog Entries

Just to give you an idea of the tooling I got IN ADDITION to the very robust "starter" package that came with my machines.

Sherline 6200DROB Mill and Lathe. You can see everything it came with here http://sherline.com/product/6200-dro...-shop-dro-pkg/.

ADDITIONAL TOOLING

Compound Slide (#1270): For tapers, angles, etc

Thread-cutting Attachment (#3100)

Carbide Threading/Grooving Insert Tool Holder (#2267)

55° Carbide Insert Holders

Bullnose Live Center for tube and pipes

Compound Slide Riser Block (#1272): for large OD

Tailstock Riser Block (#1292): for large OD

Headstock Spacer (#1297): for large OD

Carbide Inserts threading

110 VAC Power Feed (#3001)

3.1" 4-Jaw Chuck (#1030): Better work holding.

Carbide Inserts grooving (#2270):

Quick Change Tool Post Set

Dial Indicator, Test Indicator, Magnetic Base & Point Set: A must!

Universal Arm for Indicators, Mini

2,3,4,6" Machinists Work Shop Squares Sets

3/8" Indexable Carbide Turning Tool Set

Machinists Handbook

Good calipers

Good micrometer

Good steel rule

Lighted Optovisor

Machinist level

Various oils, grease, and cutting fluids

Drill bits

Scriber

Center finder/wiggler

I've probably forgotten somethings and I still need more to do some things properly.

Hope this helps to give an idea.

For the machines you want to pay attention to capacity and power specs.

And for future knowledge, the common tools for lathes are called tool bits or cutters.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quite a list - i see your point.

Besides that (im investigating the prices and what i need now) - im stuck in choosing between two machines. Well three.

Maybe you can help me get closer;

Im looking at this:

https://www.globaltools.dk/maskiner/...askine_sieg_m1

Which has a built in top drill. Im assuming this will become handy for alot of stuff, like drilling a slot, making some finer details. And having it embedded in the lathe seems good, since youd already have the bit you wanna use the drill on, mounted in the lathe, so you could precisely drill your details by turning the lathe, and thereby getting it precise.

On the other hand, it seems that the actual lathe in this scenario, is not as good as the next option;

https://www.globaltools.dk/maskiner/...etaldrejebaenk

This seems to have more of it all - but no drill on top ( i dont know the english name for that.. here we call it a column drill ). I could buy one next to it. However, im unsure as to whether or not that will be annoying when you say want to drill 4 holes, on a tube, precisely on each "side". Seems like that would be alot easier with a 2-1 lathe.

And the last option for now, is this one:

https://www.globaltools.dk/maskiner/...rice&order=ASC

This, from what i can read is a bit higher quality, but a bit lower in some of the specs.

Finally, i know this can cost a ton; i dont mind it. Any start of anything ive ever done that was worthwhile, costs alot of money.

My main concern is simple:

Fun, Safety.

What i am hoping to achieve fairly fast, is the ability to machine hilts. Not one big hilt with tons of engravings, but say 3 pieces, a top a middle and a bottom. Each of which has screw threads, so they can be put together.

Once this is achieved, the next goal is to begin making lines, patterns, tapers. Then knurls, etc.

From what ive seen video wise, this seems very achievable skill wise, and im thinking all of these lathes should be able to do it; i dont see one that has a huge advantage over the others; except maybe for the one with the built in column drill - i could see some heavy use of that, making slots/vents, etc.

So with all of that in mind, and the fact that ive been wanting to get into lathes for nearly 10 years, can you guys advice me a bit here, based on the text above?

- and thank you all so far for your inputs.

Blog Entries

I would personally never buy a combo machine. Sure they seem convenient but I’ve read they have their own special problems and limitations. And a lathe chuck won’t hold a piece in place for drilling. You’d have to set the piece up in an indexing head, rotary table or vise.

I don’t have experience with the other machines so can’t comment on them. The size of things you want to work on will dictate the size of machine you need.

A column drill (drill press in US) and a mill are two very different machines. One drills and only drills. The other can perform both drilling and milling operations.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Hey

Thanks.

Yeah i think i know which ones you mean; the column drill is the static one that goes down, and you can move the subject in a fixed position under it. The mill is where you can move both the drill and the bed, right?

Ill make some more calls tomorrow, and see if i can become any wiser