Thread: Battery size question

Default Battery size question

Hi all,
    Does anyone know if the Panasonic 18650 3.7v 10A 3200mAh is bigger than the Li-Ion 18650 3.7v 2600mAh? Are there dimensions for those batteries on the site?

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Pa...ery-P1282.aspx
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Li...dule-P672.aspx

Basically, I (perhaps hastily) bought a 3D printed chassis, and seems like the the Panasonic won't quite fit.

Thank you.

They are the dimensions. 18mm X 65mm. The 0 denotes a single cell.

Doh! Well, that shows how much I know. Thank you for the info, Greenie.

That's very good to know, Greenie.

For what it's worth...I'd wager the majority of newbies to this hobby don't know that's what the numbers mean, and I'm not sure how/where they'd learn that info. I've been looking for this information for quite a while today on the website. All I could find was that the 18500 listed it's length under a "dimensions" tab on the product page, but when checking other batteries for similar info, there was none (on the ones I was curious about).

I have been under the impression 0 meant round, which is a common practice in some other engineering conventions.

I've read recently that the convention for batteries is a two digit diameter in mm and three digit length in tenths of a mm. This hardly seems to make sense since batteries aren't so accurately sized as that, but it was a reputable source (can't recall where).

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I have been under the impression 0 meant round, which is a common practice in some other engineering conventions.

I've read recently that the convention for batteries is a two digit diameter in mm and three digit length in tenths of a mm. This hardly seems to make sense since batteries aren't so accurately sized as that, but it was a reputable source (can't recall where).
    OT-ish
    I understand it as for example a 21700 is 21mm diameter and 70mm long. 18650 being 18m diameter and 65mm longzsies. But they're probably just the cell specs sans any protection circuits or manufacturing changes as the standard has been advanced upon.
    As the design is improved upon the sizes vary, but the standard stays the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RarestSquirrel View Post
    OT-ish
    I understand it as for example a 21700 is 21mm diameter and 70mm long. 18650 being 18m diameter and 65mm longzsies. But they're probably just the cell specs sans any protection circuits or manufacturing changes as the standard has been advanced upon.
    As the design is improved upon the sizes vary, but the standard stays the same.
    That is correct. The true meaning of the final zero is the only thing I was really wondering about. I've read it both ways, and from experiences elsewhere I assumed the zero meant round before I read anything about it. Even if the standards were originally kept more tightly, it seems unreasonable that 10ths of a mm were really considered critical. Almost any manner of circuit connection would make more significant differences.