Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinons please

Default Opinons please

Hi all, just popping in to ask what you guys might think about a saber a friend wants me to make for his son. His son likes Yoda, so it would be a shorter one and i dont want to convert a Hasbro FX, so i figured ill use the MHS stuff.

So far im using:
    Blade holder style 8
    Pommel 2
    5" double female connector

This would just be the "base" for the saber, ill add the rest of the stuff, but never having had one in my hands, i can only go off of pics.

In your guys/gals' opinion, does that look enough like Yoda's hilt to "pass" for one once the grips, box and shroud are added? Im more concerned about the emitter than the rest of it. Thanks

You may need an extra inch in the female connector, but otherwise, it looks good. It really depends on the electronics you’re going to put into it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    You may need an extra inch in the female connector, but otherwise, it looks good. It really depends on the electronics you’re going to put into it.
    Since the FX is just under 8", im going to try and keep it as close to that as possible. Im not worried about room too much Thanks.

Well when I first saw that (before reading your post) my first thought was "Well its cool if you're wanting a Yoda saber"....................so I'd say you did great for that

Some grips and perhaps an activation box and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Well when I first saw that (before reading your post) my first thought was "Well its cool if you're wanting a Yoda saber"....................so I'd say you did great for that

Some grips and perhaps an activation box and you're set.
    LOL, guess i did a better job than i thought

Aside from grips, switch box and "clamp" and the emitter shroud the Yoda hilt is really pretty basic.

If you look on Shapeways someone has Yoda style grips that you could use. Also pretty sure there's a yoda style switch housing there as well. Depending on how close you want to make it of course.
    Last edited by Warlock; 01-20-2018 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Aside from grips, switch box and "clamp" and the emitter shroud the Yoda hilt is really pretty basic.

If you look on Shapeways someone has Yoda style grips that you could use. Also pretty sure there's a yoda style switch housing there as well. Depending on how close you want to make it of course.
    Im gonna attempt to make them out of Delrin, but thanks for the heads up in case.

Figured id post some finished pics Not sure im allowed to post the build log link to my site or not.

Well, that came out awesome. Is that crystal a custom kill key? Where is the switch? What battery solution/board did you use? Awesome little saber!

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Well, that came out awesome. Is that crystal a custom kill key? Where is the switch? What battery solution/board did you use? Awesome little saber!

Tom
    Thanks

Thats the button, i used a switch with an LED in it and i couldnt get the resistor figured out, was just too yellowish for my liking, so i left it out of the circuit. The neat thing about the chassis is i used white Delrin and it transmits some of the main LED to it in the dark
    Ended up going with a RCP, NEC 18650 and a Nano. The Pico i got for this had too many random swing events and i didnt want to have to install a port to futz with it.
    Since its for a kid, i opted not to do a kill key for a couple reasons. 1. This kid will carry the charger with him at all times im sure, 2. Its just one more thing to lose.

Heres a shot of the chassis in progress