Thread: Oops, where do I put the clip?

Default Oops, where do I put the clip?

So after about a month of meticulous design, redesign, parts research, etc. I finally started putting together my order for my first saber build. Because I'm based in the UK I'm ordering some pieces, along with a custom piece, from TCSS directly, and getting the rest of the parts from JQ Sabers. So wouldn't you know it, that right after I hit the button on my TCSS order I realized that my design doesn't have a spot for a covertec clip?

I was planning to use one of the brass machined wheels but I'm using a 4" fluted section and it doesn't look like I could mount the wheel on that section without the wheel overlapping the fluted part.

I've not yet ordered the 4" fluted section (out of stock at TCSS, was going to order it from JQ) so I think I have 2 options:

1. Attach a D-ring to my brass pommel style 6. Would the short D-ring fit over one of the 4-40 holes wihtout interfering with the center hole for the recharge port?
    2. Swap out the 4" fluted section for a 4" double female grooved section. I could then mount the covertec wheel in one of the holes in that section, but where it's a slightly larger OD I'm guessing I'd have to file down the machined brass wheel?

Based on my overall saber design I'm thinking that the D-ring approach might be the better option if that would work.

1) that seems like a tight fit to me, but im also having trouble visualizing what you mean.

2) if you havent ordered the wheel yet, you could get it machined flat by Tim.

Personally, Im a big fan of Vader's ANH emitter mounted d-ring. You could always skip the clip and make an Exar Kun thigh holster!

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...r-by-eastern57
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

Yeah, some other type of holster or thigh holder might work as an alternative. For option 1, the pommel insert I'm planning to use has a central hole for the recharge port and 3 smaller hoels around it. I think those are sized for a 4-40 hole so I could see potentially attaching the short D-ring to one of those holes with a 4-40 nut and bolt, but I suspect that the size of the tab on that clip is too long.

Oh!! You could make your own tab for the d-ring!

Take something like a diamond shaped thin piece of (insert thin hobby metal sheet from hardware store), bend it into a triangle around the straight bar of the d-ring, then drop a 4-40 screw in all three corners. You could even drill a hole in the middle of this "triangle" so you could access the recharge port. I think that would be awesome.
    Player: I feel your anger, master.
    Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!!

It's occured to me that I overlooked 1 obvious solution. Drill the hole in the fluted section and attach the D-clip there, duh. JQ have confirmed they can drill and tap the hole, I've asked them about how well the machined wheel would work, so I'll see what they say and then pull the trigger. Worst case, the 3/4" D-Ring is so cheap I might just toss one onto my order just to be safe and find some other use for the wheel if it's a problem.