Thread: Big ol' pile of blade pictures

Default Big ol' pile of blade pictures

Ok, not that ol'.
    Like a month ol', at most.

Still! I thought I'd throw all the pics I've taken up in a folder in case anyone also quite new to the field wants to squiz at them.
    Current order of the pics basically goes VV photon blade - TCSS enhanced blue - enhanced blue sanded - trans-white w/ Selley's clear silicone unstable effect(two applications by the final shots).
    They're all thin walled 1" and have the same two 116 skinny pixel strips running off a Keeppower 18650GA. The photon however had two layers of transparent gift wrap and foam, whereas the blue and the trans-white have a blade diffuser and foam.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...BDDA78A844C133

I'll be adding more as I continue to stuff around.
    Next up I think will be pics with a layer of heat shrink around the pixels. Gods know when though... shipping from China.

Cant see any of them. Why did you get heat shrink from China?

Quote Originally Posted by PCModulus View Post
    Cant see any of them. Why did you get heat shrink from China?
    Click the link, you don't have to login or anything, though it might pop in and ask you to just for ****s and giggles.
    And yes, got about 20m of 8mm heat shrink and ended up using two layers around the pixels. Worked pretty damn well, certainly better than clear gift warp. As to why... was unable to find the 1m long lengths here.
    Will post pics when they're uploaded.

Quote Originally Posted by RarestSquirrel View Post
    Click the link, you don't have to login or anything, though it might pop in and ask you to just for ****s and giggles.
    And yes, got about 20m of 8mm heat shrink and ended up using two layers around the pixels. Worked pretty damn well, certainly better than clear gift warp. As to why... was unable to find the 1m long lengths here.
    Will post pics when they're uploaded.
    No, they show up blank when you click on them, i know how to use OneDrive. Cableorganizer.com sells clear 3:1 thats quite reasonable.

No, they show up blank when you click on them, i know how to use OneDrive. Cableorganizer.com sells clear 3:1 thats quite reasonable.
    Works with all the not-logged-in devices I've got here, so not much I can do.
    And ah... Cableorganiser is US based, I'm not.

I see the pics, they took awhile to load. Blade tip lit up on cell phone? Whats that about?

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by RarestSquirrel View Post
    Cableorganiser is US based, I'm not.
    Ah, didnt see that at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    I see the pics, they took awhile to load. Blade tip lit up on cell phone? Whats that about?

Tom
    I waited 5 mins on a 50mbps fiber connection and gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post

Tom
    Oh that was before I'd started wiring everything up, was just curious about how excited the dye would get when hit with a light source.
    Turns out it was quite a heap. The photo-luminescent dye being more concentrated in the tips and all. Of the three enhanced tips I've got the amber is most certainly the brightest, with the blue being the least.

Ah, didnt see that at first.

I waited 5 mins on a 50mbps fiber connection and gave up.
    Weird mate. Mine connection is stereotypically Australian... ie total bollocks.
    Doubly weird because they're not even the .raw converted to .PNG versions, that would've taken forever to upload on said useless internet.

Got some el-cheapo Chinese strips for 20~ AUD each.
    The solder joints are gross and really need to be trimmed, evened up and redone, but the pixels themselves work perfectly. Obviously haven't tested their durability yet, but they don't look any worse than the Adafruit skinny's.
    Am now very curious about the silicone coated strips that all the Chinese ebay sellers are offering. Could eliminate at least one step of diffusion.
    Other than that I'm waiting for whatever foam TCSS and GCS are working on to replace the current stuff. Hopefully that'll happen before Solo premieres.

So, got some 5050 strips from BTF Lighting on ebay.
    They're far nicer quality than the previous yucko ones and don't seem to suffer from any weird colour reproduction issues. These will very likely be what I use from now on.
    I've used the cut offs to prototype a small three strip blade and have learnt a few things.
    Used a page or two of printer paper folded into a triangle to stick them to and found that it generated substantial shadowing, only instead of two shadows there were three slightly thinner ones.
    After that I took it apart and cut about 2mm off the ground side of each strip and used some double sided tape to stick em back together. After that I covered them in one layer of clear heat shrink.
    Unfortunately doing so made them too thick to fit into the TCSS foam. I'd ideally use two layers of shrink as per my 2 skinny strip blade, but obviously an alternative foam will be required first.
    Might be able to cut 3mm total off the ground side, but I don't think it'll help much.