Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hoping I have it right.

Default Hoping I have it right.

This is an updated wiring schematic I have been sweating over. I made a few changes that I was recommended to do by other members.

My build is a Pico Crumble with a 16mm AV Illuminated Latching and a recharge port. I am planning to use a 18650 Li-Ion 3.7v 2600mA battery, 2w 28mm Bass speaker, a Cree RGB LED and a whole lot of hope!

I think I have correctly calculated the necessary resistors but I am still a bit confused about determining the watts needed. Also, I should round up to the next resistor if I don't have an exact match right?

Regardless of the research I still need to do, I would appreciate any feedback on my schematic. I would rather spend 6 months redrawing/calculating until I get it right than to rush in and ruin my first build attempt. This will determine if I continue to try becoming a decent saber builder or just paying someone to do it for me.

I would rather do it myself!

Here is my schematic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It has been a few days without a response lol. I thought I would try it again by bumping it. Not a big deal, I just would rather get the thumbs up before I make a mistake.

I am as far from an expert as can be found. But I am pretty sure that your switch is wired wrong. Also you need a momentary switch not a latching one.

If I am reading your diagram correctly, the upper left post on your switch is the LED +, and the lower left post is the LED - ?

If so, you have the negative (orange) wire from the LED - post returning to the battery +, when it should be to the battery - (this could also go to the BAT - on the board as well).

Now, these AV switches do not have + & - switch posts, per se (meaning they do not have indicated polarity, and could be wired in either direction), BUT on page 5 of the Pico Crumble 2.1 manual, it indicates that the battery + connects to a switch post, and the other switch post returns to the ACT - pad on the board. In your diagram, you have that backwards (the battery - wired to the switch post).

That page in the manual diagrams the Battery, Board, LED and the (activation part of the) Switch connections.

What the store lacks on the Illuminated AV Switch product pages, is a clear “pin out” diagram (though it does show a pic of the pins, with the small dot indicator for the LED + post). The post are paired across from each other (180 degrees opposite). There is a rectangular depression on the bottom of the switch, and the two posts that it stretches out to, are the switch activation pins. The other two pins are for the interior LED, with the positive post on the side with the dot/circle depression (usually colored in if bought from the store).

Here is my diagram of an Illuminated AV switch for. Pico Crumble 2.1 (sorry I didn’t have orange, so the - wire is green)
    A2BA91EB-0834-44C0-A50B-D5D4148EBC66.jpg

I hope this helps!

Edit: looking at your diagram closer, you MAY have the switch posts labeled and wired correct, but I cannot read the small letters you wrote in the led. If that is the case, you then just probably colored the one wire coming from the battery + orange by mistake. Sorry, it is just a bit hard to see!
    Last edited by bigkevin61; 01-14-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks for the responses!
    And thank you minorhero, I keep writing it in as latching despite the manual stating only momentary switches. Getting old I guess.
    First, I apologise for the poor image. Starting from the top left and rotating clockwise I labeled it L+, S+, L-, S- . S is for the switch and L is for the LED in the switch. With the how to video, I understood that two tabs were for the switch and two for the LED and to verify by running a current to find the LED. I used a simplified diagram for ease of wiring.

My interpretation of page 5 was the POS + Switch post went to the board and the NEG - Switch post returned to the BATTERY POS +.
    I am definitely a novice, so I am really unsure now. You are saying that the activation pad runs to the Switch NEG - and the Switch POS + runs to the BATTERY POS +, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Paedryn View Post
    Thanks for the responses!
    And thank you minorhero, I keep writing it in as latching despite the manual stating only momentary switches. Getting old I guess.
    First, I apologise for the poor image. Starting from the top left and rotating clockwise I labeled it L+, S+, L-, S- . S is for the switch and L is for the LED in the switch. With the how to video, I understood that two tabs were for the switch and two for the LED and to verify by running a current to find the LED. I used a simplified diagram for ease of wiring.
    Ok, that makes sense, you got that correct just presented it in your diagram the way you did.
    I checked my uploaded image, and it looks like the forum compresses the file to a smaller image, as I could barely read what I wrote, and in the original pic it is much more clear. So apparently it may be hard to read forum posts pictures with small details!

My interpretation of page 5 was the POS + Switch post went to the board and the NEG - Switch post returned to the BATTERY POS +.
    I am definitely a novice, so I am really unsure now. You are saying that the activation pad runs to the Switch NEG - and the Switch POS + runs to the BATTERY POS +, correct?
    If you are running a wire from the Battery Positive (directly from the battery itself, OR from any connection that is wired directly to the Battery Positive, as say the BAT+ pad on the board), to ONE of the Switch Posts on the Momentary AV switch, and from the OPPOSITE Switch Post on the AV switch, run a wire to the ACT pad on the board, you will wire it correctly.
    I believe that is what you are doing when you say “POS + Switch post went to the board and the NEG - Switch post returned to the BATTERY POS +”.

In the manual page 5, the image under General Wiring, this is the purple wire in the diagram.

I think the confusion is that the switch posts so not have dedicated, assigned polarity, so there really isn’t a “switch + post” or “switch - post” on the switch per se. In this way, it acts like the speaker, where it doesn’t matter which DIRECTION you wire the two Speaker Posts on the Speaker, as long as they connect to the correct pads on the board. In the switch’s case, one post to the ACT pad, the other to the Battery Positive.

I hope that makes more sense.
    Last edited by bigkevin61; 01-15-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Yes sir it does make sense.

Thanks for talking it out with me, the extra explanation helped clear things up.

bigkevin do you have a build log for your Sunfire build? I have been tossing around an idea for matching sabers and I want to do it with an orange scheme. Your Sunfire is gorgeous and I would love to see what you did.

bigkevin do you have a build log for your Sunfire build? I have been tossing around an idea for matching sabers and I want to do it with an orange scheme. Your Sunfire is gorgeous and I would love to see what you did.
    Not as such. The post with the Sunfire is glams, and select build pics. Unfortunately I haven’t had the time to repost pictures on a free hosting site, and re-link the pics (they currently are on photobucket, but I’m not paying $100 a year for 3rd party hosting, which lets those links work).

The only thing *I* did was modify the speaker mount. I cut channels for an accent Led in the pommel, drill a hole for the covertec clip screw (to lock the mount in place), and had to drill and tap new holes for the rod for the chassis I built (for the thinner ribbed extension part I had the battery and sound card in.
    The thing is, I learned SO much doing that build, I wouldn’t do it the same way if I started over again (mostly for the wiring layout).

I’ll look into doing the post update soon, to get those build pics back up.

Is there any thing in particular you wanted to see? The “Jollipop Copper Orange” semi transparent powder coat is just amazing in person, though back then Tim was offering partial powder coated parts (he only does full pieces now).

ADDED: Link to the Sunfire Post
    Last edited by bigkevin61; 01-17-2018 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Added link to Updated Saber Post

I expect that I will be looking back at this build and wondering why I did what I did also lol.

Honestly I like the entire look you created. It is well designed with switch/recharge port on the "box" piece you used. I would assume you could flip it to sit in either direction. I also really like the use of color to accent and combine an balanced, pleasing look, rather than an entire hilt with only one or two colors. And I really like the Jollipop Copper Orange! Sometimes it is better to see the colors on a complete hilt to appreciate its impact.

Thank you for the link. I promise not to steal your design! But with your permission I would like to let it inspire my own in the future.