Thread: Screw placement on blade holder.

Default Screw placement on blade holder.

Hello.

Does anyone have any experience in the placement of the set screw in a MHS blade holder style 9?

I understand that the higher the placement, the better it holds. My first thought was to place the screw in between two of the windows centered from both windows and centered the length of a window. But to keep the screw from being only a third of the way around from the switch, would it be better to place the screw either above or below the window opposite the activation switch. This is a cosmetic vs function decision and I would appreciate any response.

Thank you.

I tried to go to the store but the site would not open. Basically... the amount of retention and stability are a function of two things.how much surface area you have inside the holder in contact with the blade and how tight that fit is. The longer and tighter the more stability. The screw keeps the blade from sliding out of the tube and the strength of this area is dependent on the shear strength of the polycarbonate tube. Obviously the thick wall tube is going to resist shear better. Try to keep the blade retention screw at least 1/2” from the end of the tube where it touches the LED holder and you should be ok. One other thing...you are swinging a “lever” around. So keep an eye on your blades total length as well, longer blade means more force on your retention set up. Hope that helps.

Finally got the page to load. I would not place a blade retention screw above the window toward the tip.do you have access to a lathe? If so you could change your thread timing by cutting the shoulder above the threads essentially allowing the emitter to screw on more. Or use a clocking washer or trim ring to do the same thing. Just a thought.
    Last edited by k6gad; 01-07-2018 at 08:24 AM.

I've used BH9. I put a retention thumb screw where your first thought was. There's not a lot of material above the windows and it tapers, so that may not allow for enough thread to remain secure over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    I've used BH9. I put a retention thumb screw where your first thought was. There's not a lot of material above the windows and it tapers, so that may not allow for enough thread to remain secure over time.
    I totally agree....If you drop the lightsaber and it hits the head of that screw you could bend the emitter with a hole that close to the end. The Aluminum is tapered there and would not resist much force. It would work with style 4 maybe....

Thank you gentlemen. I decided to put it between the window halfway between the end and the threading. I will use a headless set screw. Hopefully it will keep the impact of the overall visual of the saber to a minimum.

Much appreciated that you responded. It helped a lot!

Have a great New Year!