Thread: Excel Component Checklist Idea

Lightbulb Excel Component Checklist Idea

Hey everyone.

A few days back I ordered several components for my saber build. Unfortunately I missed a few items I needed to progress. So I sent in another order. I don't mind the extra shipping cost so much as I hate forgetting things. I have also always been a bit weird in that I love organizing my stuff. Books, movies, games etc. When I finished buying every AXIS & ALLIES board game and expansions, I easily spent another $50 in storage and organized pieces by country and type. I spent a week deciding on the right storage / carry case for all of the X-Wing game components.And I am always on the look out for a better option. So I despise it when I feel unorganized.

On to my point and my questions.

I threw together a simple Build Checklist on Excel with a cost column that adds up the total without shipping. My question is to all of the veteran Sabersmiths. Is there already a document that does this and is this something that is even acceptable to offer (free of course) as a assist for the newer members like myself. I don't want to reinvent the wheel nor do I want to step on someone toes.

This is nothing special. You still need to type in the cost, but it will add up the column for you. Anyone could create their own without any trouble, but this might save on some questions, depending on what formula is placed on it. Right now it fits on both sides of a sheet of paper with room on each side for notes.

That's it. If anyone is interested or has some input, I would be glad to talk about it. If there isn't any interest or someone tells me no, I will respect that as well.

Happy New Year everyone!

Every build is different, but for a beginner, checklists can be very helpful. There's a thread which attempted to do what you describe.

I would think the list is very useful. The costs less so, because it doesn't tie to the store directly.

Yes I have read that thread as well and it is important that everyone should read it. I was looking at more of an actual print out that someone could fill in their components type /style and be able to have something that could be readily shown to others on the board for confirmation or questions.

As I have been looking at the idea, I believe it could be good and bad. Obviously a universal format everyone uses makes it easier to understand and critique. But it also would take away an important part of the learning process neccessary for new builders starting out, as I am still learning myself. There is an area that is set up for verified working builds / wiring and this idea might fit in well with that. There has been so much work put in by other members to help new builders learn without handing them the answers that makes me cautious in offering this idea.

I am going to post a sample here and see what everyone thinks. If it is not wanted or needed, that is perfectly fine. I wouldn't be upset at all.
    20180110_124754.jpg
    20180110_124813.jpg