Thread: Troubleshooting wiring/switch problem

Default Troubleshooting wiring/switch problem

Hi guys, I’m brand new here so I just want to say thank you for all the valuable information this board has to offer.

So a few weeks ago me and a friend get it in our heads to build working electronic lightsabers. This is my first attempt and I generally know nothing about wiring so forgive my ignorance. We wanted to do led light strip sabers as that seems to have the most consistency in blade brightness (also didn’t know about led Crees when we started). I’ve all but figured out how to get everything working as you’ll see in the diagram, but the one thing I can’t seem to work out is how to remove the momentary switch on the Hasbro board. I can’t seem to remove the switch and do a direct connection as it needs a pulse to activate/deactivate the sound board. Ideally I just want one switch which would be on the other end of the strip where the power source is. I considered connecting the boards switch connections to the main switch but was afraid it would draw too much power from the 9v (which is why I have the step down for the sound board). Is there something that would simulate that pulse when it receives power/loses power? Could I just connect the boards switch to the main switch since it doesn’t seem to constantly draw power? Thanks for any help!

FAA81B9F-C7C4-49C2-BD7A-4A2356DD940E.jpg

Is this momentary or latching switch? Have you bridged the switch with your other switch turned off to see what happens? Have you bridged the switch with your other switch turned on? I'm not familiar with Hasbro boards, and how they have their switches. If its latching, its just completing a circuit, and should be able to be bridged to bypass it. Or, you could solder longer wires where that switch hooks in, to where you want your new switch. I think we need more information, including photos of the actual switch, saber, and where you want your new switch.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Is this momentary or latching switch? Have you bridged the switch with your other switch turned off to see what happens? Have you bridged the switch with your other switch turned on? I'm not familiar with Hasbro boards, and how they have their switches. If its latching, its just completing a circuit, and should be able to be bridged to bypass it. Or, you could solder longer wires where that switch hooks in, to where you want your new switch. I think we need more information, including photos of the actual switch, saber, and where you want your new switch.

Tom
    The way it works now is if I turn on the main switch, the led strip will light up and then I have to activate the Hasbro board switch to get the sound to turn on. I tried just wiring point a to point b for the sound board to compete the circuit but I just get a beep out of the speaker when I do that. I also left the wires connected but removed the switch itself, if I tap the ends of the switch wires together the board with turn on and then if I tap them together again it will turn off. They do not need to stay connected for the board to remain on. I’m not sure exactly kind of connection/switch that makes it but it sounds like it’s sending some sort of pulse to connect/disconnect the circuit. The sound board shouldn’t turn on with the main switch off as I have the power running through the led strip before it gets to the sound board (one end is switch/battery other end is board/speaker/sensors with ~6ft of strip folded in half). Hope that helps to clerify. I’ll post pictures later if that would help

That is a momentary switch then. Sounds like you'll have to keep that switch, but you can replace it with any momentary switch at TCSS. There are tons to choose from. When the store site comes back up search momentary switches, tactile switches, those are what you need. Then you can run those 2 wires from your board wherever you want to hook up that momentary switch to turn on the sound board.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."